Using Android Tablet as a HotSpot

BettyG

Hello, We currently use our Android Tab E LTE device as a hotspot. We travel full time in an RV and found a Canadian carrier that has a decent data plan. So instead of purchasing a Mobile hotspot we use the Android Tablet . It works pretty well. What I am curious about is A) Has anyone else done this? B) Do you think an actual hotspot device would give us better speeds than the tablet?

MomoStarr16

I've done that too before. When we need to hotspot and all we got is an android tab. The factor on how much speed it will give I think is depending on the device that is being hotspoted. If the device are get a lot of signal then it will be fast.

Fishbate

Hello, We currently use our Android Tab E LTE device as a hotspot. We travel full time in an RV and found a Canadian carrier that has a decent data plan. So instead of purchasing a Mobile hotspot we use the Android Tablet . It works pretty well. What I am curious about is A) Has anyone else done this? B) Do you think an actual hotspot device would give us better speeds than the tablet?

Hi @BettyG , i also use a smartphone as a hotspot specially when i am travelling. Although i do not recommend it using as a permanent data controller specially at home. One thing that you should consider is battery, depending on how many are connected. Have you notice that your tablet is heating up so fast? It is because it is using all the resources and power to deliver the data traffic on the devices that are connected. It may somehow affect your battery life specially when you are using it frequently.

Lastly mobile hotspot devices are specially developed for simultaneous connection that is why it is much more advisable using it. The components of a mobile hotspot device are made to withstand heat and provide a much more better safety features. The battery specifications of a mobile hotspot device is likely to be more higher for long hour use. If you are asking speed, basically they are both efficient with some difference in specifications like 5-10 mbps/per seconds. The difference is the thru wall signal amplifications. It simply means more range with less interference. Have you noticed a signal loss on a few feet with your tablet? It is because the range of your tablet signal is lesser than a hotspot mobile device, well again it depends on the specifications.

Overall, we can use any smartphone as a mobile hotspot. After all it is one of the feature that's why its there at the first place. Using it daily is a no no for me.....we should not use our smartphones to its limits.

Note: my comments are only based on my knowledge.

Have a great day:)!

BettyG

Our house is a motorhome. It isn't very big with walls to interfere thankfully. The battery information is good advice. It does pretty well though. Does not drain much faster than if it is just being used or sitting around.

The issue we come across more is that when you use it as tablet its speeds are quite good. However as a hotspot the speed seem much slower. Whether there is one device connected or three.

Fishbate

Fishbate
Mainly it's because of the speed provided by your carrier. For example, if you are using a 5mbps max data speed plan it is what you get for one or more device connected. Remember that your tablet is also connected to the plan even though it is idle most of the time. Even though your not actively using the tablet, background applications are still consuming the data of your plan. That is why somehow there are notifications and ads still pops from time to time.

Now if there are two or more devices connected to your tablet, the tendency is that the data speed is being divided on those devices that are connected. In data connection there are two means of transmit the RX and TX . It simply means send and receive signals. These two signals consumes your data speed. If you use a browser in searching, the loading sequence will consume the 5mbps . If the browser needs 10mb for loading...it means your connection can load the browsers content in 2 seconds. Now if you are using two device with the same activity (loading the browser) the content of the browser will be loaded at approximately 4 seconds. That is why it is much slower with two or more devices connected plus the tablet itself.

Martinsx

Welcome to my world, where sharing of Hotspot is something that one can't go a day without either sharing his own tablet or android Hotspot for someone else to use or having to use another person's Hotspot to connect to the internet. It's just recently that buying of data bundle is cheaper unlike what was obtainable in the past 5 years ago where it's very expensive to subscribe for data for internet purposes.

People mostly make use of Hotspot for all their internet purposes. Imagine in a situation where you have a laptop, one desktop computer and an android phone and a tablet device, would you come and subscribe all of the device individually? No, I don't think so. One is basically going to subscribe one device and share its Hotspot for all the other devices.

Older threads
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views