Introduction to smartwatches

ElGuapo96

Hello there, people.
Can anyone give a quick rundown on these smartwatches as i am not too familiar with them and with their abilities.
I would appreciate if you could help me find out what is the purpose of these watches, what are their prices on average and how useful they actually are.
Is it just an aesthetic thing or are they a good alternative to a regular watch/phone.

Let me know down below, thanks in advance

starmz123

What interested you about smartwatches? This will help determine whether they will be useful for you. :)

In general, I think the function of a smartwatch is to facilitate on-the-fly, routine tasks. Answering short texts, checking your schedule and so on. There's not much space on a smartwatch, so of course, there is no point using it to do something that would be better done on a phone (e.g. long emails). In other words, they're probably most useful for professionals who have many non-intensive tasks to do every day and may not always have access to their phone (e.g. in a board meeting).

The other main type of smartwatch is for fitness junkies. The Fitbit is perhaps the most well-known and I do think that if you track all your exercise, nutrition and health stats that it might be a worthwhile investment. For example, you can export your data so you have access to it anywhere! However, I also track a LOT of stuff (sleep, food, exercise) and my phone's apps work just fine. Unless you are a serious athlete, I'm not sure the Fitbit is really all that necessary. It's probably just appealing to people who really like data analysis, stats and keeping track of every little thing. ;)

On the other hand, some people might think it a natural evolution from a digital watch. If you're very attached to your phone, I suppose it would be useful to make alerts even more noticeable by putting them on your wrist. This could help with time management since at a quick glance you can decide whether you need to handle it on your phone.

You might also be able to pay for things with your smartwatch, which is more useful and less clumsy than paying with a phone. It can also come in handy if you do a lot of navigating in unfamiliar places - particularly as a pedestrian. I'm not sure I would advocate using your smartwatch to navigate your car unless you're in somewhere familiar! Plus, they do look pretty cool!

1520231027208.png

However, that just seems wasteful to me since you could just pull your phone out... Not to mention you have to use two hands to operate a smartwatch, while you could use one hand for a phone, so is it really more convenient? You also need to charge it regularly, which means yet another thing that requires time, electricity and $$$. Thus, I don't think smartwatches are a smart investment (ha, ha) unless there's a lifestyle-specific, pragmatic reason to buy one.

In short, smartwatches are extensions to your phone. They definitely are not replacements unless you only use your phone to text, check the weather and count your steps. If your daily routine requires you to always be connected and includes many menial tasks like checking your email and sending short replies, they might be useful for you.

ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96
Well, the biggest reason i wanted it in the first place is because i am a fitness junkie. So any option related to fitness would help me greatly. Thanks for clearing some things up. And yes, i am a pretty serious athlete, even competed professionally twice, also plan on continuing with that. Thanks for the info, nevertheless :)

JayRob2212

If you are on the iPhone, I would definitely recommend the Apple Watch. Besides it working perfectly with the OS, I would say it is one of the best fitness watches out there. The most recent iteration of the Apple Watch has built in GPS and is the most water resistant of the bunch. Combined with the heart rate monitor, it can even track your swimming exercise.

Reactions: ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96
I am not on the iPhone, at least not for now, but i definitely will be!
So you are saying that for fitness specifically Apple watch is the best? I will give it a look, because that is exactly what i need :)
Don't really need GPS, i don't get lost, don't run marathons :D But the water resistant feature is amazing, that means a lot and the heart rate monitor is SO important, love it.
Thanks for the recommendation, so good.

justinjake

Smart watch is a portable device like smartphone that we can touch the screen but it is designed like our Traditional watch and the main purpose is to know the accurate time. smartwatch supports apps and some features of smart watch can record our vital signs and heart rate but also it depends on price or smart watch you will going to buy, so if you like to know you heart rate every time you must look for smartwatch that supports heartrate recording.

Basic feature of our Traditional Watch:
* it can Track Time and Dates.

Some Upgraded features of Smartwatch to know:
* It support apps. example Uber app.
* Good Battery Life and Rechargable
* Support answering message by Voice
* View Short messages

The average price of smart watch is $189 dollar (2014 average price of Apple smartwatch with support all features)
but even now is 2018, here in Philippines, there's so many smartwatch price bellow to $189usd, maybe the average price is different every country, here in the Philippines i can buy smartwatch just for 6usd but that's the lowest and simple smartwatch only.

Reactions: ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96
It can record vital signs and heart rate? So i guess there are fitness related smartwatches only? Those interest me a lot, i would really love to know something more about them since i am such a huge fitness fanatic. It can support apps? What kind of applications exactly, would you care to elaborate?
The price is not that bad, at least not as bad as i thought. Also that's the price from 2014, i guess it's way cheaper at this very moment.

sebastianshaw

I'm a fan of Fitbit and honestly, they produce truly amazing smartwatches like Fitbit Blaze or Fitbit Versa. They also have that small intro video on their page. Just watch them to completely identify the device. That'll be enough :)

Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views