How to save battery when your smartphone is running out of battery

smarttips

Today, smartphones are equipped with larger battery capacity, allowing users to use more than a day at normal frequency without having to recharge. In addition, the availability of an increasingly inexpensive rechargeable battery is an extension on smartphones.

How to save battery when your smartphone is running out of battery.jpg

However, there are cases where the device is running out of battery and forcing you to resort tricks to save energy. Here are ways (maybe negative) but will help you to use your smartphone for a while:

Turn off wireless connections
Wireless connections like 3G/4G, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi always take a lot of energy and if you do not need it, turn it off. The GPS positioning is similar and you should not turn it on when the power is running low, or if you want to store more power for further.

Limit phone checks regularly
One of the habits of modern humans is to regularly check their phones, even doing it unconsciously. Turning on and off continuously also consumes some battery power.

Switch to airplane mode
If not required, plane mode is an option that saves battery life. However, it means you can’t receive any calls or messages, means you are out of mobile network.

Make the most usage of available power
If your laptop, rechargeable torch, AC adapter...have a lot of power, it can be used to charge the smartphone temporarily.

Disable notifications
Notifications from email, Facebook, Instagram, Messenger...always consume a lot of power, so need to turn off to save battery.

Reduce screen brightness
Monitors are always the most energy-consuming part, so you should reduce the brightness to save battery power, as well as limit the power on and off.

Send text messages instead of calling
Messaging can be time consuming but does not consume energy while making phone calls. In addition, messaging also helps to communicate with message more specifically. Of course, you also need to know when to text, when to call depending whom you communicate.

Jim15

That's very informative especially for me as a smartphone user. I know that battery life is very important in a gadget. I agree that reducing the screen brightness can save battery life and can make your eyesight and sleep protected too.

Reactions: Willis

Willis

Willis
Hey Jim15, you bring up an excellent point about eyesight and sleep. I would like to add that using blue light devices at nighttime can really mess with your circadian rtythm! A lot of people are essentially jet lagging themselves by staring at such a bright screen. On the bright side (Pun intended :D) scheduling use of devices for appropriate times is very important; and if you are going to use a device at night time consider getting an application that will dim your backlight display or reduce blue light levels somehow! Hopefully this saves someones eyes and sleep. :')

Nethmanila

Nethmanila
Thank you for your tip. That's very useful. At first i only know is to make the brightness low and turning off some stuff like notifications and turning it on the airplane mode.

Uyj143

Great tips, thank you for this, I didn't know about airplane mode can save battery life, but I have question in my case even if i have 40%+ battery it became lowbat or shutdown and I don't why.

Please if you have any Ideas about this please share.

Willis

Willis
Hi, Uyj143. I have experienced this frustrating event aswell! Curiously it has only ever happened with iPhones, and after I have owned them for a few months. I have a few theories on what it is but I want to get more evidence first before that. Once I am sure of my answer I'll let you know here or post a thread about it to hopefully helps others suffering from the same problem. :)

Kakashi2020

That's easy turn the brightness to a minimum and switch off data, wifi, bluetooth, location and vibration mode and/or your ringer. You can also turn on your battery saver. Do this and you'll extend your battery life.

smarttips

smarttips
I agree with you but to be honest I don't like the way to turn the brightness to a minimum to save battery on my smartphone, It can hurt my eyes when I see my smartphone is not bright enough.

Vinsanity

Mine is actually automatic. You can set it up through phone settings. You can enable battery saving mode to whatever battery percentage you like. What I do actually is that I bring an extra phone for phone calls or texts. I just have to transfer my sim card from my smartphone, put it in a standard sized sim for the sim to be enoughly fit my my old Nokia phone. Instead of putting your smartphone to an airplane mode, wherein you cannot receive text messages which might be important, I turn my smartphone off to take care of its battery, for it not to be completely depleted and use the one shown below.

old phone.jpg

Willis

Willis
WOW Vinsanity.. I haven't seen one of those in years! I remember selling about 5 a few years ago in a garage sale :'( I miss them now!

I do wonder if you could tell me what the name of the side scrolling game on it was called? (I think you play as a ship on the left side of the screen while monsters and bosses come from the right.)

Either way thanks for the nostalgia hit!

argel24

I also do what exactly you've said and it's really effective.But the best thing to do I would suggest is to bring your powerbank always wherever you go. No worries at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

smarttips

smarttips
That's great when hearing that these titps worked for you.
Obviously, if you always bring powerbank beside you then you will never worry about the battery problem any more.

Willis

Willis
Powerbanks truly are lifesavers. But what happens when that runs out! o_O
In all seriousness I had a friend who bought a terrible little solar charged battery pack from ebay and he would use that to charge his powerbanks which he would then use to charge his phone, then he'd use all the charge texting people about his charger set up!

Masterjed

This is great. Informative. What I usually do when my phone is @ its 10% - 5% is I'm not going to use it. I've read on one website that using phones when its battery is low , it gives a higher amount of radiation rather than when it has full battery. So good to be true but I'm not going to lose anything if I'll follow it. But this still gives us a lot of useful tips on low battery. I suggest as well buying a good Power bank, just for emergency purposes. :)

ElGuapo96

Try turning off unnecessary applications that tend to run in the background. People always leave them on and it annoys me so bad :D It just kills your battery in a matter of minutes. It might seem like a unimportant thing but it's one of those small things that can really turn into a big deal.

Willis

Great and informative post smarttips, thanks! One thing I personally do with all my devices is make sure I'm cycling the charge from full to empty. This is better than just charging your phone when you feel like it (30%, 50% ect) and can increase how long charge will be held and how long it will take to charge. Hope my little tip manages to reach someone that needed it! :)

Dracindo

What also works, is to turn off as many apps that you don't need running at all times. Take me for example, I always keep my games running, even when I'm not on my smartphone, but even though my smartphone is turned off, those apps are still running and making my smartphone lose battery. I don't care too much since I got a power bank, but I sure find it worth mentioning.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads