Apps must have for low-end Android smartphones

Chris Crocker

For low-end Android smartphones that handle very slowly, also the data storage space and applications are also very limited. This post will introduce to you some applications should be installed on low configuration smartphones to help you use more stable.

These applications are the developer's shortlisted applications. A shortened application is a software that is pruned by the publisher to trim the heavy features, only keeping the main uses of the application. That way, your phone works faster when using software and saves space. So, What applications I will introduce to you?

1. Maps Go
This is a shortened version of Google Maps. Still having search feature, maps but Google has removed features such as voice directions, search categories such as cafes, restaurants, gas stations. Since Maps Go has lagged around 140KB, it is too light and can be useful for you just needing to find basic things on map.

Apps must have for low-end Android smartphones 1.jpg

2. Facebook Lite, Messenger Lite
This app is quite familiar to Android users. You know both Facebook and Messenger are pretty heavy apps and generate a lot of data on Android phones, which in turn causes the phone to slow down.

The size of each app is about 2MB which is much smaller with the full size of the full Facebook is 65MB will give you a feeling of lightness, no jerky or quit Facebook suddenly. If you just need regular messaging and basic Facebook features then should download these two applications.

Apps must have for low-end Android smartphones 2.jpg

3. Youtube Go
It's still a lightweight version of Google. However, Youtube Go is only Beta but you can download the experience is quite stable. The strength to use it is fast video, stable quality, on the application does not display video standards but I can view the HD. The bottom line is that there is no list of Channel names you are following or other functions like full Youtube. Mostly use the app to find the video you want and watch.

Apps must have for low-end Android smartphones 3.jpg

So, I have introduced to you the application should be installed on the low configuration Android smartphones to make them operate more stable and faster.

Hope that helped.

KosovWriting

This is definitely helpful for those who've just purchased a lower end Android device. I've been through a similar experience lately and have had to use a Sony Xperia E5, which, while solid for the price, is no flagship in terms of performance.

I noticed that apps such as Facebook and YouTube were way too heavy. Google Maps seems to run fine and doesn't hog storage too much but then again I don't use it too often. Facebook is extremely heavy and continuously grows as I use it more, which I'm guessing has something to do with their poor cache management. Having the lite version helped a lot.

I like how YouTube Go provides a lot of value to developing markets who lack the data, storage space or processing power to use the standard YouTube app. Although its quite funny because I feel like the standard mobile version of YouTube should have a setting that lets you know how much data you're about to use based on your quality selection. Would help a lot of people who want to save data but still require the features of the full-fledged version of the app.

For those looking to play games on their lower end Android device, I'd recommend anything along the lines of classics such as Tetris or Sodoku. Ketchapp's simple 2D platformers and endless runners tend to work pretty well too.

mildredtabitha

Thanks for this useful post and I wish I knew about this lighter version of apps back in 2014. I had an Android phone called Huawei Y210 with a limited internal storage that could not reach 500 MB. Installing WhatsApp only could use up all the space that it was even hard to store many photos.

I have used Facebook lite for almost two years and it helped me a lot. Maps go and YouTube go are the ones I have never used. most phones especially Android phones come with their own YouTube and Google map apps and so I doubt if it is possible to replace them with the "go" apps.

Jomjom

This is really informative and helpful. However, it is true that Android phones come with their own YouTube and Google maps apps. I think if you will try to delete these built-in apps, your Android phone will experience errors in the long run. What do you think about that? I'm not quite sure about this, it's just a wild guess from me.

Cai07

For low-end Android smartphones that handle very slowly, also the data storage space and applications are also very limited. This post will introduce to you some applications should be installed on low configuration smartphones to help you use more stable.

These applications are the developer's shortlisted applications. A shortened application is a software that is pruned by the publisher to trim the heavy features, only keeping the main uses of the application. That way, your phone works faster when using software and saves space. So, What applications I will introduce to you?

1. Maps Go
This is a shortened version of Google Maps. Still having search feature, maps but Google has removed features such as voice directions, search categories such as cafes, restaurants, gas stations. Since Maps Go has lagged around 140KB, it is too light and can be useful for you just needing to find basic things on map.

View attachment 897

2. Facebook Lite, Messenger Lite
This app is quite familiar to Android users. You know both Facebook and Messenger are pretty heavy apps and generate a lot of data on Android phones, which in turn causes the phone to slow down.

The size of each app is about 2MB which is much smaller with the full size of the full Facebook is 65MB will give you a feeling of lightness, no jerky or quit Facebook suddenly. If you just need regular messaging and basic Facebook features then should download these two applications.

View attachment 898

3. Youtube Go
It's still a lightweight version of Google. However, Youtube Go is only Beta but you can download the experience is quite stable. The strength to use it is fast video, stable quality, on the application does not display video standards but I can view the HD. The bottom line is that there is no list of Channel names you are following or other functions like full Youtube. Mostly use the app to find the video you want and watch.

View attachment 899

So, I have introduced to you the application should be installed on the low configuration Android smartphones to make them operate more stable and faster.

Hope that helped.
Those apps are really light. I’ve used most of them and my phone didn’t slow down. I hope more developers Will offer lighter version of popular applications.

Chris Crocker

Chris Crocker
I hope more developers Will offer lighter version of popular applications.
It depends on more factors that developers will offer you. You can not require a light version with more features or functions on an app.

A big app requires more resource to run and that is why more device today is having better specifications than ones in the past.

Dracindo

Useful thread. Quick question: Does Maps go require Internet by any chance? I'm looking for a map app that doesn't require Internet access. Even without GPS enabled, but then I'll be asking a bit too much I think.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views