Laptop with Built-In Batteries?

charlou

Hello everyone!

I personally own an ASUS laptop with built-in battery. After 1 year of using it, I have to say I had a good experience. The only thing that is a challenge to me is taking care of the battery life. I am still quite confused on how to take care of it. Can I use my laptop while it is charging? Should I turn it off and then charge? What are the things and pointers that an owner of this kind of laptop should take in consideration?

Fishbate

The basic way in taking care of a battery is always run it between the Low and High battery level. Although all battery has a life span, keeping it between critical levels is a good way to keep it in good working condition.

All battery's have built in power controller, which manage the input and output voltage of the battery. The only thing that contributes in the battery health is when the battery level is high or low.

When battery is low, the chemical content of the battery is put to stress because it has to maintain the right voltage output in order for the device to run.

When battery is high, the components is exerting effort to put the voltage on a loop for the voltage to return to source therefore the power regulator of the battery has the most stress.

One thing you should consider is the charger, the charger it self is a protective device for the battery and laptop itself. Use your charger on the right constant source , whether it's a 220 or 110 volts. You should avoid fluctuation specially when charging on a generator.

Plug the charger first before connecting it to the laptop. The charger needs to store and regulate the supply before sending it to the laptop. Avoid loose sockets when plugging the charger, that could cause arching which generates heat and could damage your charger.

I hope this helps:coffee:!

EfficientNinja

You should just leave it plugged in 24/7. There's no problem with that.

Modern batteries are using either Li-Ion or Li-Po technologies.

Modern batteries are designed with limited battery cycles. Some batteries only have 500 battery cycles until they die.

So every time you consume your battery from 100% to 0% you only have 499 battery cycles left.

So it's best to just leave it at 100% all the time. My laptop stops charging at 95-98% and all modern batteries cannot overcharge.

What you should avoid is having your battery heat up. The main enemy of batteries is heat. It makes them degrade faster.

gconcha

gconcha
I am also an Asus laptop user with a built in battery and have been using it for less than a year. I have always been worried about the way I am charging it. I used to take it off charge when it is full then plug it back again when the battery is on ten percent or something. Thank you for the information. I didn't know if it is a safe practice to just leave your laptop plugged.

Dracindo

Dracindo
But isn't it bad for life of the battery if you keep it plugged in at all times? It can keep charged up, but always doing so, wouldn't that reduce the time you can keep your laptop unplugged?

DenisMNE

I use Lenovo laptopt and most of the time I have charger plugged in.
No problems in that, I believe.
I try to stop the same issue @EfficientNinja is talking about.Battery cycles.
My laptop stops charging at 99%.

JackOAT

For me, to make sure that my built-in battery stays healthy I try to keep my battery charge between 20% and 80% and once in a while I'm doing a full charge and discharge cycle. I believe that this procedure will preserve the overall longevity of the battery's ability to hold a charge. Also, the cooler you can keep the laptop, the better for the battery as well.

rebeccaverdad

I used ASUS laptop now for about 6 months so far I'm contented for the performance. Until last night I'm having trouble. I'm also using it while charging and last night was really bother me after I used my laptop I shut it down and the battery is still charging. Before I go to bed I removed the plug of the laptop then I woke this morning the battery indicator was still open. I try to open my laptop but nothing happen then I put back the plug and open the laptop nothing happen. i told myself what happened???? its getting late for my work so I go to work thinking why my laptop doesn't open. after my work just today I did again what I did this morning still nothing happen.
Until I call a friend and told her what happened to my laptop she told me why don't you try to long press the power button. I did what my friend said and thank God it works.:eek::eek::eek:.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

New Threads

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.