How to turn off automatic software updates on iPhone?

Rodney Olson

I am having an iPhone 7s plus and I don't like software updates automatically without reminding me first. How can I turn off automatic software updates on iPhone?

marciayudkin

Hey Rodney,
Did you notice that iOS devices are being automatically updated unintentionally? Here's how to help you solve it, apply for iOS 11 and you can do it for other versions of iOS.

Apple has publicly released the iOS bug fixes and added some enhancements in some versions to enhance the user experience as well as smooth usage. However, every time you update, your device may be a little slower, and in some cases, you will have to go back to the older version of iOS.

Turn off automatic software updates on iPhone 1.png

You yourself can control the updates on iOS.

When you accidentally tap the Download and Install option in Software Update, it downloads the latest software update and asks you to install it on your iPhone. With the downloaded software update, it can automatically install the latest version of iOS at any time without interaction from you.

So, to get rid of automatic software update issues, there is an option for you to disable and cancel this feature. This applies to iOS devices like the iPhone running iOS version 11 or later.

Cancel automatic software updates
- Go to Settings> General> Software Update.

Turn off automatic software updates on iPhone 2.png

Cancel Auto Install to turn off automatic iOS update install.

- There you will see the option Cancel Auto Install.
- Simply tap on it and it will stop updating the software automatically.

Stop updating software automatically
- Access Settings.
- Go to the iPhone Storage section.

Turn off automatic software updates on iPhone 3.png

Select Delete Update to delete the data inside the downloaded iOS update.

- Scroll down to see the iOS installation file.
- Touch and select Delete Update.

From now on you can stop updating the software automatically on your iPhone. In the future, you can go back to making manual updates to the device.

Hope it helps!

MomoStarr16

MomoStarr16
This is very informative answers on how to disabled it. A simple one is okay but this one is better and easier to understand. A complete way to disable auto update. Nice post BTW. :) iOS are really hard to understand if you are a first user. Much difficult than using an Android. This post just like what you wrote is really helpful for a beginner user of iOS.

MomoStarr16

I am having an iPhone 7s plus and I don't like software updates automatically without reminding me first. How can I turn off automatic software updates on iPhone?

I know the struggle of always being annoy of the automatic update on iphones. When connected to wifi they are always keep on updating even the apps that can use even if not been updated. Updated apps always eat up all my storage capacity. So here what i did on my phone.
On the Home screen, tap the Setting icon. Then scroll down the Settings menu and select iTunes and App Store. They can be interchanged like App and iTunes Store depends on your iphone. Scroll down again this page until you see the Automatic Downloads heading. Then just disable all the options you see there that you don't want to be updated. And viola! It is disabled. Hope you understand and it help you. :)

kwaikin25

Hope this helps your queries...

1. Touch Settings
2. Scroll to and touch iTunes & App Store
3. Touch Update and change the setting (e.g., from on to off)
4. Automatic updates are now off. Touch Updates again to turn it on.
5. To disable data usage for automatic updates (and other automatic downloads), touch use cellular data.
6. Data usage is now off for automatic updates. Only wifi will be used. Touch Use Cellular Data again to turn on the usage

For your reference....

marciayudkin

marciayudkin
Exactly, disable auto update is always in Settings of both iOS and Android and if you want to change somethings related to your smartphone system then it is a good place to go and check. :)

dhieijhz

Same concern I have. This is something that truly is inconvenient for most of as. Every time I am in a hurry to leave for work. Boom! Need to be a few minutes late. Because my phone is doing its automatic update. Imagine the anxiety of waiting. How I wished I could pull that line to the very end to complete the update.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Mik
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies