How long do you use a phone before having it changed?

Martinsx

When it comes to having my phone changed, I have set a time table schedule for how long I will use any android device that I purchased. It's been drawn out by me to be a 3 year interval use of a particular phone product before I'm going to be looking at the prospect of having it changed.

My current android phone device is turning 3 years in my care by November this year and I'm definitely going to procure a new one before December runs out or if I'm successful doing it by December, then it's definitely going to be by January.

How long do you make use of a device before having it changed?

starmz123

Wow, I respect your organisation! I'm afraid the circumstances that cause me to switch phones vary wildly. Here is a chronological snapshot of how long I use my phones and why:
  • Transitional periods - when I was going from middle school to high school, I got my first smartphone. So I suppose my first phone lasted 1 or 2 years? I didn't really use my phone very much (astounding how times have changed!) but my parents thought it was appropriate for me to buy a new phone, particularly since everyone else seemed to be getting smartphones
  • Broken/Lost - Unfortunately, I'm super clumsy. To this day I have broken the screen of my Kindle after 2 years, fractured my laptop screen within 2 years, had my LG G4 die on me after 1 year (manufacturing problem, at least!) ... I wish I had something more concrete to work on than just being more careful with my devices, because it seems like such a nebulous/unhelpful plan! Anyway, I learned my lesson and bought a fantastic Otterbox case for my last mobile phone.

Even then, I lost it. Not once, but twice - and both times in a taxi! The first time, I was extremely lucky and got it back. The second time, well. That's why I switched phones after 2 years.
What's so terrible about this - yes, it can get worse - is that I know I'm being extremely wasteful, both with resources and money, and I don't want to contribute to the hyper-consumerist culture prevalent in tech circles... I actually think I overuse my phone and could go without one for a while. However, my parents are very adamant about being able to reach me at all times. My dad is also very into technology, so he wants me to buy a new device every few years, particularly for milestones (e.g. starting university).

Regardless, I'm determined to be more conscientious and use my current phone until it breaks down purely by itself. Since my phone is fairly new, I'm not sure how long it will last because I'm suspicious of manufacturers these days. It really seems like there is a higher probability of your phone breaking down after only a few years these days...

Though I want to hang onto my possessions for as long as possible, this mindset is a little more challenging for technology (phones in particular) because I can spend weeks looking up new releases and comparing them! There's just something so exciting about being wowed by the latest flagships and breathlessly watching benchmarks...

But I will resist. :)

Reactions: Admin

Martinsx

Martinsx
I can relate well to having changed my phone over the misfortune of the device getting stolen. It was a Tecno M6 which I bought and haven't used it up to 4 months and it was stolen.

I really felt bad about that because I haven't enjoyed anything with the phone and it was stolen. I was eventually forced to go buy Tecno Camon 8.

ElGuapo96

Well i have been using my Nokia Lumia 735 every since it came out. This is the 4th year that i have it and it's been serving me extremely well. I would most definitely have bought a new one, had this phone had any issues. But it has been perfect so far, no problems whatsoever.

Also i am a humble guy and i don't need a phone to show off or to play some super quality new games, so this phone has done an amazing job so far. Only problem is the lack of apps, but then once again, i don't really depend on them so i am happy so far. :)

Martinsx

Martinsx
Some people are very good in using a phone device for more than 8 years and when you see the phone, it would still look very good and very functional. I'm not that kind of person, even with all the protection I would give to my phone by using packs and screen glass protector, I would still find a way to rough use the phone to the extent that once you see it, it would look obvious that it's going through hell in my care :p.

kurt1111

I am using my samsung GTS501 for several years and I think this phone was made on 2012 and it was the latest phone that time so I buy it. I know its been an old version of a phone because it only 4.0.4 version and it doesn't fit in the latest phones todays because of its less features, but I still love it because its very durable even though I my younger brother trow it and it was fall many times in high heights it still works without any damage also its screen was so hard you cannot see any cracks on it. Only its physical look was damage because it has alot of scratch but when you operate it the performance is like when you brought it brand new.

Martinsx

Martinsx
That's a very strong brand or android phone. Most android which I have always get damaged once it falls from such a height but not yours. This shows it's really a good device. If all android phones are built this strong, I'm sure people would be very weary of the device falling off their hands :sick:.

vpatella

I used to replace my phone after pretty much every two year contract. That was back when groundbreaking phone models were coming out all the time. Now I really am never in a hurry to replace my phone, but I do lose and break my cell phone a lot. That's the biggest contributor.

• Geek
Reactions: Admin

Martinsx

Martinsx
Haha, this just the case with my kid sister. She virtually breaks her phone within the shortest possible time. The last phone which I bought for her Infinix Smartphone, she just used it for few months and broke it damaging its screen.

I vowed not to replace the phone for till she gets serious about knowing how to use a phone. Right now she is just using non android phone.

puregrace

I would generally not love to replace my Oppo camera this time because I am so attached to it emotionally. It is my selfie expert and I am learning to take selfies from it. So, my dear Oppo smartphone should never part away from me.

In case I have to keep this and buy a new one, mostly if anyone gifts me one, then I would love to have a new version or the latest version of Oppo, though costly. It is the best camera with features for taking good quality selfies. The processor, the speed and the quality of the hardware is all excellent.

So, my reason for changing the device would be the need of a new one, or else I would continue with what I have. However, as you have mentioned, after 2-3 years, we start looking for new technology and new features at a reasonable prices.

Winn04

Winn04
Great! I just noticed that many women prefer the Oppo brand for it has a pretty good camera and most of Oppo's design has a simple yet elegant looks. Two of my sisters are currently using an Oppo smart phones. One is Oppo F1s and the other one is Oppo F5 youth which is a more latest version.

Martinsx

Martinsx
I have heard so many reviews about how good Oppo phones cameras are. I'm not surprised that you are attached to the device because of the good camera because most ladies love to take pictures more than anything else using their phones.

Camera is not really my thing with phones, it's gaming and surfing the internet which battery, RAM and storage capacity are my major concerns.

Jaymalie

Changing of phones depends on the durability the cheaper the phone the less durable it will last .you may change your phone if;
1: It's not running as it should - This means that it hangs a lot and is unable to install some apps .
2 The phone is stolen - this is a common reason when you phone gets stolen or you misplace it you decide to replace it
3. phone is too old and outdated - you might decide to upgrade your phone from a phone that uses button to a smartphone.

EfficientNinja

I replace my phone as soon as it is no longer able to update to the latest operating system. Because new apps may not support the old version of the operating system as time goes. If you aren't updated, you will also be exposing your device to malicious software.

Winn04

I've been using my Samsung Galaxy A8 2015 for almost 3 years now, but it still works well as of now, well, it is no surprise because Samsung smartphones are tested to last a significant number of years. My first android phone was the Samsung galaxy young, back in 2010 and although its OS is already out of date, this phone of mine is still working. And you can still be able to make a call,send messages,play music or videos,and its camera is still functioning just fine. I am the type of person who decides to replace my phone when it is no longer up to date, when most of its applications are failing to work and its storage capacity can no longer suffice my needs. But as long as it does and does not give me a problem from using it on my day to day tasks I will still stick to it. It would be much practical for me that way.

Kayel

I change phone for obvious reason that it's broken and beyond repair, or when somebody (like family member) gave me new one as gift. Then my old phone if it is still in perfect condition, is passed on to my kiddo

JackOAT

One big problem with modern technology and smartphones is they become outdated rather quickly. My one big factor in upgrading is when my screen is broken. I also change my phone when my processor is slow and underpowered. And lastly when my battery starts to lose it’s holding capacity.

f_liperodrigues

I really don't stipulate a time to change my phone. My last phone stayed with me for 2 years I guess, and my actual was bought because I was robbed and it has almost 2 years. I would like to buy another one, but I have no money now lol.

bleach123

Well I am not really a techie person, and in a span of 6 years, I had 4 android phones only. I gave my first android phone to my sister because I want also to buy a phone with a better camera. The second one was stolen while I was riding a bus. The third one is still with me until now and I bought the fourth one just this year to have an extra phone in case my third one breaks (its power button won't work at times). Basically, I don't care how many years I am using that phone for as long it's serving its purpose.

zach24

Cellphones are very usable because it is our way of communicating with other people. I am not very attracted to new phone models that's why as long as my phone is working I can't feel the need of changing it. When someone gave me a new phone as a gift I keep it first and use it if my current phone is already broken. I am good at taking care of the things that I regularly use that's why I will just change my phone when I really need to.

bernztein_22

When it comes to having my phone changed, I have set a time table schedule for how long I will use any android device that I purchased. It's been drawn out by me to be a 3 year interval use of a particular phone product before I'm going to be looking at the prospect of having it changed.

My current android phone device is turning 3 years in my care by November this year and I'm definitely going to procure a new one before December runs out or if I'm successful doing it by December, then it's definitely going to be by January.

I don't really have a time table. I change my phone if I think I need to. My current phone is Xioami (Redmi 4x) and I'm using it for almost 2 years already. It's still working so well and I don't feel the need to replace it yet. When I was younger though, I felt I needed to have a new phone every year. Maybe as we grow older, we tend to see more the value of money and we care less about the model of our phone, may it be the trending model or not.

You may want to try Xioami brand next time. It's great from the price to its quality.

RoseKaizer

For me as long as my phone was okey and its working properly, I don't need to changed it for a new phone again. My phone was 2 years and a half since I used and buy it. Until now it still working, though sometimes I was attempt to buy a new one.

Reactions: Nemo

Nemo

Nemo
Yeah RoseKaiser (y). I respect that. I don't need to change phone very often too. But sometimes, when a new Samsung flagship comes out, I just can't help myself ;)

Jingoliva5

Actually, the question is ironic for me. My phones didn't last for a year. Its either it got stolen or lost. But if I have the privilege, I think I'll use my phone as long as it is still working. Having a new phone is a quite hassle for me regardless of the new updates. I have retrieve or transfer files from my old to my new phone. I don't like dowoading again all the apps and registering again trying to retrieve all the necessary information. One thing I consider in a phone, the memory capacity. Since I am a physician, I have to store or save my ebooks and videos. Also, the camera must be of good quality not for selfies but for specimens from surgery or necessary documents that I have to take pictures for reference.

amarkayam

It depends on the phone that i am using if the newer version of the same phone has some major chnages in terms of features and specification or there is anything new in the market at the particular time.

AnneNoir

As long as my phone is still working well and i can still use it properly. My current phone still working, the only with it is sometimes it get very laggy. I am using it for almost two years so maybe after 3 years of using it I would buy a new phone.

True North

On average, I can say that I also have pretty much the same 3-year timeline with my phone usage. Most of them were either Nokia, Sony or Samsung phones. I usually dole them out to family and friends before buying the replacement. And it's good that I still see some of them being used until now.

To me, it really boils down to usage. Since I mainly use my phone for the basic functions like calling, texting, taking pictures and regular internet browsing, I think that has also contributed to the phone's overall lifespan. And the storage space is also one thing that I consider in taking care of my phone. I make sure that it still has enough RAM to give it a little room to function properly. That's why I'm not that big on downloading lots of files, whether it's on the internal memory or on SD card. Others may frown upon it as boring but I find it actually efficient. My phone has lots of breathing space! :LOL:

As to the hardware aspect, I used to be a fan of those rubber casings that makes it handy, though now I prefer to have the phone bare. I'm also pretty big on battery life. I make sure to charge it completely powered off and within the charging time specified by the manufacturer. I know it can be quite bothersome, especially if you really need to use it, but I can manage not to stick around my phone for too long and use it only when necessary.

That's why most of these buying decisions come from just plain impulse. Though I don't really need to. Do I really feel like having a new phone right now? If the answer to that question is yes, then it's time to ditch that phone for a new one!

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Mik
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

New Threads

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.