How to speed up your computer's startup time

EfficientNinja

1523090642314.png

A very slow startup every time you open your computer makes you feel uncomfortable and annoyed. This guide will help you do effective tweaks and upgrades to speed up your computer's boot time.

1. Turn off the programs that startup with Windows
Shutting down startup programs at the same time will improve your computer's boot time.

Step 1: Press Windows + R key combination and enter msconfig.
Step 2: In the Startup tab and select Open Task Manager.
Step 3: Right-click on the unnecessary programs and select Disable.

2. Enable Fast Startup on Windows
Fast Startup is a feature available on Windows 10 that dramatically speeds up computer startup. Go to the Power Options located in the control panel or Right-click the battery icon of your computer then make sure that the Turn on fast startup option is enabled.

3. Turn off unused hardware devices
On startup, the computer needs to load a lot of drivers for hardware devices while some very few devices are used. You can disable them as follows:

Step 1: Right-click Computer / This PC and select Manage.
Step 2: Click on Device Manager to display the list of hardware devices that are booting with your computer.
Step 3: Find devices that are unused and not necessary such as Bluetooth, modem dial-up connection, Wifi adapter, Print queues, USB, SCSI, CD, etc then right-click select Disable device to disable it.

4. Keep your computer safe from malicious software
Malicious software such as viruses and malware can slow down startup rates when they attach themselves to Windows Startup or create other software that causes the machine to load a lot at startup. Keeping your computer safe from malware and potentially unwanted programs is also a way to speed up your startup.

5. Upgrade RAM
Upgrading RAM is always a good way to speed up computer use in general and start up the machine in particular. At present, the price of RAM is much cheaper, so if you feel that your computer is too slow, then do not hesitate to upgrade the RAM.

6. Use an SSD
This is probably the most effective way of speeding up your computer. SSDs use memory chips to hold data rather than magnetic disks, so reading speeds are much faster than conventional hard drives.

By following the methods explained above, the speed of computer startup will be significantly improved. I hope you are successful. :)

vpatella

Thanks for the guide, but I have a question. First of all, I can't seem to find the option to turn on fast startup. My computer's power options provides settings for the particular battery plan and the option doesn't seem to be in there. I can provide a screenshot if needed.

EfficientNinja

Hi, @vpatella! You can check my screenshot below. You should click the Change settings that are currently unavailable text that is written in blue to enable the changing of the settings below.

This menu is located at Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > System Settings.

Feel free to ask me if you encounter more problems. Good luck! :)

1523253326428.png

vpatella

This is what my Power Options look like. My best guess would be that HP has some kind of alternate scheme for the settings, because if I click "Change plan settings" it doesn't offer the options that you have shown me. Thanks for going out of your way, though.
problem.png

DenisMNE

DenisMNE
Did you try clicking on ''Change plan settings''? I did a little bit of search of HP interface and solution might be there.If you operate a windows 7 it should be under that section.
So, try to click on that and then to change more power settings, click Change advanced power settings.On the Advanced settings tab, expand the category you want to change and each setting, and then choose the values that you want to use.
Hope it helps.Let me know if this helped you.

vpatella

This is the dropdown menu I get in the advanced plan settings. Can't seem to find anything in here.

problem.png

DenisMNE

DenisMNE
It is located on the left side of the picture you have previously showed us.I thought that advance setting could help you out, but as @EfficientNinja said, you have it right there, on the left side.I will upload a picture and make a circle around the tab you need to click.
download.png

Dracindo

The first step is something I always tell people to do. Many people keep wondering why their computer takes a whole minute starting up, and still have to be patient after they log in. Then I take a look at their startup programs, and ask them which one of those they pretty don't use, or not frequent enough to have it running from the start. Then I end up disabling 90% of the startup programs, and the startup process became much smoother instantly.

And then they call me a genius. "I am a self-thaught Harvard graduate!"

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.