How to install Apps on Android without using Google Play Store?

Alex_smith

Unfortunately I removed the icon Google play store on my smartphone but I don't know how to get it back. Are there any ways to install apps on Android without using Google Play Store? I ask this in the case I uninstalled Google Play Store for any reasons :)

Last edited by a moderator:

marciayudkin

Hey Alex,

Google Play Store is commonly known as the Android Market - the digital distribution platform for Android operating systems and the digital media store operated by Google.

The vast storage of apps, games, and all that Google has to offer is the largest repository of data in the world, and almost anything you want to find, can be found there.

How to install apps on Android without using Google Play Store 1.jpg

However, there are times when you need to install an app from outside the marketplace that offers Android apps. Google does not operate as closely as Apple when it comes to what's sold in the app store, but it can still test rates on the spot. Or maybe you want to install an older version of an app you already own because it works well on your device.

Let's take a look at some of the ways we install Android apps without using the Google Play Store in following steps.

Enable Unknown Sources
Android app bundles packaged in APK files may also be downloaded from outside the Play Store (such as through your web browser). However, before attempting to install APKs, you must first authorize the phone to install the word "Unknown Sources" (i.e., the application is not in the Play Store).

To do this, navigate to "Settings -> Security" and check the box marked "Unknown Sources", then click "OK" and "Trust".

How to install apps on Android without using Google Play Store 2.jpg

Find the APK you want to install
You may already have a trusted site to download the APK. If you do not have one yet, we can recommend the APKMirror site, which is ideal for legally found APKs of older versions of the Play Store app, free apps, and more.

You can download APKs directly through your phone's web browser, at which point you will receive a message saying "This file may harm your computer." yours". Do not worry, if you get a file from APKMirror or another file on a site you trust, your phone will be safe too.

Download the file, then open the APK from the notification pull-down menu on your phone or by browsing the Downloads folder on your phone's file manager. Touch Install and your new app will be ready shortly.

You can also download APKs through a browser on your computer, at which point you'll need to transfer files via your phone via microUSB or wireless network and install from there.

Settings using Google Drive, Dropbox, and other cloud services
Also, if you download an APK on another device, you can navigate to that device on your device, then upload it to a cloud service like Google Drive or Dropbox. Once complete, you can access it via Drive or Dropbox on your phone and open directly from the cloud service, starting the installation process.

Install the app using the online APK installer
The online apk installer is a web application created by the htc-hd2 XDA-Developers forum user for the purpose of manually installing an .apk file. This is useful if you want to share an APK file with your friends because after uploading the APK you want to install, it will generate a QR code that you (or your friends) can scan on your screen. to start the installation process.

To do this, first navigate to APKInstall.

Here you will see the black button "Browse Files...". Select this file and select the apk file on your computer.

How to install apps on Android without using Google Play Store 3.jpg

When uploading a file, the QR code will appear on the page.

How to install apps on Android without using Google Play Store 4.jpg

You must scan this QR code with a barcode scanner. We recommend using QR Code Reader and we find that Unlimited QR Code Reader is not bad either.

How to install apps on Android without using Google Play Store 5.jpg

Once the QR code has been scanned, you can click the link to download the .apk file straight to your device.

Once the .apk file has been downloaded to your Android device, you can set it up by touching in the notification menu or finding the file in the file manager and following the instructions on the phone screen.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

Larryl332

Well this is very useful and I wish that I had this a while back when I was having all sorts of issues with my Google Play. It is usually great but there are those times when you need an alternative.

timothypangilinan

You can install apps on android phone in many ways without using Google Playstore. You can search for the app's apk file on google and download it directly. For example, a Tubemate Youtube Downloader app could not be downloaded from Playstore. You have to browse to Google and search for the apk file and download it. It's one of the best apps which downloads high-definition youtube videos.You can also download any apps on Aptoide and 4shared. I recommend you to use Aptoide and 4shared for downloading paid apps. I have installed many paid and Pro version apps on my android phone using those sites. Some other paid apps can be downloaded from Utorrent such as a Limbo game. It's a paid version which costs more than $10 on Playstore but can be downloaded free with a license file on Utorrent.

Last edited by a moderator:

marblank1313

There's many sites that provides free downloads of any apps you want in your phone. It is not trusted sites but definitely they do work. Just search for what you want to be installed and you will see a lot of results. If you want you can ask your friends to share their apps with you through shareit.

kaisantos2229

Well you can always try downloading Google Apps Store again, simply by searching Google Apps Store app to you Google browser. It's always safe to download apps from trusted website so I suggest you should download Google apps store.

Kakashi2020

I'm using Aptoide sometimes there's a lot of free stuff there even some programs banned by Google are available. You should try it.

Dracindo

Dracindo
Can you give me a little information about Aptoide? I've never heard about it, and I'd like to. You can also send me a link to main page or the page with a quick or detailed tour of Aptoide.
Also, is it safe to use, or should I better update my antivirus software for it, first?

Alex_smith

@marciayudkin there are many ways to get Google Apps Store back as you shared and I will choose one that easy to apply for my smartphone. Thanks for sharing!

Well you can always try downloading Google Apps Store again, simply by searching Google Apps Store app to you Google browser. It's always safe to download apps from trusted website so I suggest you should download Google apps store.
Oh I didn't know this, I will try to check it out through my Chrome browser.

I'm using Aptoide sometimes there's a lot of free stuff there even some programs banned by Google are available. You should try it.

Sorry but I only use apps and games from Google Apps Store, it is safe for my smartphone.

dhieijhz

Other than google store their are many other options where in you can get an APK file for your Smartphone. Some would say it would not be safe. Well as long as you do have a anti-virus on the device your good to go. Here are some of the option I would always use specially in cases where in you do receive the error 963 (App could not be downloaded due to error).

https://www.apkmirror.com
https://en.aptoide.com
https://f-droid.org/

The advantage of using this site to download is you would have an automatic installer for your apps. If you would wish to remove the app then consider to install it again all you gotta do is go to your download file and their you go. Easy breezy.

DenisMNE

Hello, Alex !
I do not know did you find an solution for it yet, but I found an awesome video online that might solve your problem.
You definitely want to check it out.
It is quick and let me know did it worked.
Thanks in advance !

maklein

Can you really uninstall the play store app? I believe you can just disable it since this is pre-downloaded app. This is what I know, if that is so you can just enable it on application manager.

Dracindo

Dracindo
Even if you could uninstall the Google Play Store app, you can always open a browser and search for the store there. Pretty sure there's gotta be a download button for the app somewhere on that website as well.

sandraharriette

Unfortunately I removed the icon Google play store on my smartphone but I don't know how to get it back. Are there any ways to install apps on Android without using Google Play Store? I ask this in the case I uninstalled Google Play Store for any reasons :)

If you go to the view where you can see all apps in either alphabetical order or in the order in which they were installed, you will see the Google Play store icon there.

Otherwise, f-droid is an alternative as another member recommended.

RoseKaizer

You can use mobomarket in downloading different application, mobo is like playstore.
Another one is you can use chrome, you can download the apk of the application that you want, but I think some of the apk is harmful with the device that you use, so be careful in downloading, sometimes its prone in virus.

MittensFX

You can use other apps for installing apps like on Google Play.If you have a browser,use your browser to find other apps that can help you out or just simply download apps that you want through your browser or connect to a PC and download apps through your PC and just transfer them to your phone via USB cable.

Dracindo

It's easy to "reinstall" the Google Play Store, really, no need to look up other stores to get your apps. But just like you can download a lot of different things on a lot of different sites for your computer, you can easily just google what you need for your smartphone, hit Search, and tap whatever seems legit.
Google play store just makes it easier to find things and offer more safety.

Tonivir

You can install application even without the Google Playstore. First download your app in the internet in 'apk' format then click the file you will be ask if you allow unknown sources install into your adroid phone, so go to your 'Settings', go to 'safety and privacy' and turn on 'unknown sources', your phone now will allow installation of apk format.

GioMatos

Is it possible for you to download the .APK file of google play from your computer and then move to your phone with the USB cable? That sounds like a solution.

Tehilah27

For some reason I believe that getting and downloading apps from Google play store is safer than doing so elsewhere (just a feeling, don't know if it's accurate) but after a nasty experience with downloading directly from the internet, I've stuck with Google play store ever since. It's easy to reinstall it by browsing for it online if you mistakenly delete it or have someone transfer it to you so you can reinstall.

If you decide not to reinstall and opt to download directly online, be careful what you download as there are lots of harmful viruses disguised as apps out there

JBeleren

Wow. The detail of the replies on this post is chock full of information. This will be really helpful when someone asks this again or maybe a friend would ask someone about the same issue, I would just point them to this thread right here. Also, I would just like to add that there is a download link for the Google Play app on their site, just go there using a browser and download it.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads