How to hide files and folders on Android without installing apps

Jermfern

Most Android devices don’t actually have a stock ability to hide stuff, so no matter what you’re looking to do, you’re probably going to have to resort to third-party apps. Let’s start with the basics and learn to hide some files in general.

Make a dedicated hidden folder for your files, photos and videos that you want to hide. On your file manager, create a new folder and put a dot in front of its name. It doesn't matter how you name it, just put a dot before it. This basically tells Android to forget this folder and never look inside of it. Only file managers and specific system apps are aware of its existence. This means files hidden inside won't show up in the gallery, multimedia players, e-mail clients, and office editor. Make sure you allow viewing of hidden files in settings of your file manager to able to see it.

Flex

When I saw your post about hiding files without installing application I quickly read about it because I really want to find how. Then after that, I went to my file manager and quickly did one folder as you said. Viola, it is really working, amazing. But take note that when you want to see the files inside the hidden folder, you need to go to setting first and off the "hide system files" button. Now, I can tell to my friends.

Fishbate

This means files hidden inside won't show up in the gallery, multimedia players, e-mail clients, and office editor. Make sure you allow viewing of hidden files in settings of your file manager to able to see it.

This is great a information @Jermfern (y) , this would help us create a private folder for our important files. Some use third party apps for the feature but of course it will consume some of your smartphones storage.

I just want to ask if this method is just like changing the file extension? If so, if you changed it into a file extension that is readable by the system of the smartphone...will it be considered as a broken file by the system? :unsure:

Have a great day:coffee:!

Martinsx

Wow, this is a very good one. I never knew this trick with hiding files on Android devices apart from making use of third party applications. My favorite application for this task is privacy app. It helps me hide lots of personal files that I wouldn't want anyone having access to without my say so. But with this trick explanation here, I'm definitely going to try it out and know how true it is.

Thanks for sharing.

CyberAlchemist

Make a dedicated hidden folder for your files, photos and videos that you want to hide. On your file manager, create a new folder and put a dot in front of its name. It doesn't matter how you name it, just put a dot before it. This basically tells Android to forget this folder and never look inside of it. Only file managers and specific system apps are aware of its existence.
I am just curious how to unhide files and how to see hidden files that we hid?

Mabbrel

I like that idea of hiding files but my phone won't allow even after following the above guide. Am using a galaxy tab and there isn't any third-party app installed on it to hide my important files. Android file hidden software could be the best and resilient solution for hidding files. Downloading, however, can be a little bit more of a hassle, I personally don't feel safe when installing other third-party apps on my android tab. So what i have to do is properly follow those steps you gave here to see if it will help me hide my important files I've been waiting to hide for a while now just for the security i need for myself.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views