Conserving Data in Android Devices

Martinsx

One of the major bane of using android phone device is its continuous running of background applications without your consent, and this if not checked would always drain your data subscriptions and exhaust it before you could realize what's going on.

But you can stop this by following this simple steps below :

Step 1: Go to Setting
Stop 2: Click on Data Usage
Step 3: Click on 3 horizontal
Screenshot_2018-02-10-03-14-59.png
Screenshot_2018-02-10-03-15-09.png
Screenshot_2018-02-10-03-15-28.png
Screenshot_2018-02-10-03-15-39.png
Screenshot_2018-02-10-03-16-08.png
dots above the page right side
Step 4: Click on Restrict Background application
Step 5: Select OK

Once you have have done this, you will see one triangle icon on the left side on top of your device showing that you have successfully restricted your background application from connecting without you opening such applications. I hope this helps you guys.

Good luck.

JB Fernandez

I am also doing this to avoid uncontrolled data usage on my phone. You can also manage and choose the applications that can has access on your data if you need to keep it on.

Martinsx

Martinsx
That's very correct, restricting some applications from having automatic connection to the internet is also a nice way of conserving your data. There are several applications that automatically boot and connect to internet immediately the phone is powered on but if you go to settings and have it disconnected and disabled from connecting, it saves the phone user a lot of stress.

jusumortal

Android devices pull data from the internet even when the phone is asleep. So optimizing Wi-Fi setting also helps in conserving your data. Here's how you do it.

Step 1: Go to Settings
Step 2: Select Wi-Fi
Step 3: Tap on More Options button
Step 4: Choose Advanced
Step 5: Tap on "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep
Step 6: Choose Never

This method also helps in saving your battery usage.

Save data and battery 1.jpg

Save data and battery 2.jpg

Save data and battery 3.jpg

Save data and battery 4.jpg

Save data and battery 5.jpg

Save data and battery 6.jpg

kd06

kd06
Thank you for this advice! I surely am going to try and apply this on my phone. For months I've had had my data wasted on apps I don't use often, now I got to know how to minimize it because of this advice of yours so thank you.

Martinsx

Martinsx
Smartphone are very good at unknowingly sucking up one's data subscription without one having idea of what's going on until you receive a notification from your network provider that you have exhausted 95% of your subscription.

This happened to me several times than I can remember which led me to figuring out how to control how much data I waste on daily basis without knowing that I have actually used it. There were times when I would use more than 400 megabytes on daily basis, even when I didn't download any single file online.

Dracindo

And here I thought it was good enough to just press that square icon on the bottom of my screen, and then just drag all apps that are running to one side of the screen to close them. That explains why the RAM is never close to zero. I know it can never be zero, unless maybe when the device is turned off, but at the very least below 1GB should be possible. Thank you for writing this guide.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads