Water proof smartphones!

Fishbate

Smartphones are just keep on getting smarter and more reliable. One of the most recent innovation is water proof smartphones. Yup they have done it again... solving one of the smartphones greatest adversary..water!
1518427639247.png

Water is life to us.. but water in a smartphone is bad news. Water is a natural conductor. This means electricity passes to it, all smartphones runs in direct current DC . Now DC has polarity the positive (+ )and the negative ( -) this two work together to run a circuit. But they hate each other that if there is a direct contact between them, they will burst or what they say short circuit. Water on a integrated circuit is like war:p, it will adhere to the circuit components and will definitely distribute the current to the components..what happens next is sad:cry:.

Waterproof Smartphones are definitely a significant upgrade on smartphones. You don't have to worry about your phone during rainy days and some accidents involving liquids.

What surprises me is how they make them waterproof.....:eek:
How do they water proof smartphones?

___YOUR ANSWER___________________________

You have to guess first before you check the link... just a little fun:p

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-does-waterproofing-work-apple-iphone-7-samsung-galaxy-s7-sony-xperia/

arcsmart18

Wonderful. When can I buy a phone like this? This is nice. I do need a phone that is waterproof because here in our place it is raining most of the time. Weather is unpredictable and sometimes I have to really put plastic cover just to protect my phone from getting wet.

erlmont

Technically, I think smartphone nowadays is water resistant than waterproof. Waterproof means there is zero possibility water comes in inside a device. But since smartphones have a headphone jack and speaker grills, smartphone manufacturers just manage to add materials to repel water. It is not a 100% guarantee that water will not leaks in inside the phone. A water-resistant phone can be submerged in up to 1.5-meter deep water for up to 30 minutes depending on the rating from the Internation Protection Marking. Most of the smartphones are rated IP67 and IP68, meaning they are considered fit enough to withstand dust, dirt, and sand.

arcsmart18

arcsmart18
I had no idea about the difference of waterproof and water resistance until you mentioned it erlmont. So glad to know that. I'm not even aware of IP67 and IP68. I have a watch that is water resistant, does it apply also to this? About my smartphone, well, I really don't intend to try to submerge it in water, lol. However, accidents sometimes just happen instantly, so it would be really nice to have a phone that is water resistant or waterproof.

Fishbate

Your comments are greatly appreciated erlmont:). Let me briefly explain the difference between waterproof and water resistance, for better understanding.

Water resistant pertains to a product that can withstand the entry of water in normal situations like rain and snow. Basically a protection from water elements in a minimum level.
Water proof pertains to a product that can be submerged to water. Now a product that can be submerged to water is water proof but it does not end there:eek:....there is always limitation in any aspect of criteria.

A product is water proof(y)...then what is the breaking point or malfunction environment:unsure:?

This is where the IP standards come in. IP stands for International Protection marking, a standard drawn up by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). Basically they test product to its limit and set it's criteria and breaking points.

In IP67 "6" means resistance to dust and also general dirt and sand. The next number means "7" ensures “ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1m of submersion)”.

This means that your phone is protected under water, but of course there's always a limit or malfunction point or breaking point which up to 1m.

Although i do not suggest your IPhone 8 or Samsung S8 to have a little swim but definitely they will endure it.:p

ElGuapo96

That is so cool. I really hate having to hide my phone when it starts raining. Especially because i'm mostly spending my time outside. I absolutely cannot wait to get one that is completely waterproof, going to have so much fun with it :D
Who do you think does a better job at making waterproof phones? Which company?

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.