Smartphones and Seniors

Fishbate

Smartphones are build for people without any exclusions. Whatever age you are, as long that you can hold your smartphone and can understand instructions you can learn how to use it. Kids are among the fastest learners when it comes to smartphones. They have no fear or any kind of doubts using it, they are so natural. With simple instructions and some observation they can do it on their own at no time.

But when my grandma asks me to teach her how to use the smartphone....its when all the fun begins:D. At first it was hard for me explaining her all the stuff and all the technology. There are times that i ended up repeating what i had explained (grandma: "i didn't get it son, can you explain it again"):ROFLMAO:. There are times that i was bombarded with "why?" and "how?":LOL:. Its so frustrating and at the same time funny...

Although it took me several days for her to learn the basics of using the smartphone, it was fun! We had some good laughs and a little bit of bonding. She even cooked me a special meal as a thank you gift.

Most of all, i appreciate her more and learned about her history more, which is very interesting. Also by teaching her how to use a smartphone, she thought me how technology can bring two different generations together.

Also teaching your elders how to use a smartphone can be a life saver, knowing how to call in case of an emergency is essential. ....

By the way, she's busy playing tetris :eek:.

So what are you waiting guys teach your elders and have fun!

Have a great day:coffee:!

bmz719salgado

I can relate to that @Fisbate! I gave my son in his 5th birthday a Toshiba 10'' Tablet and taught him only for two days. He already knows how to scroll YouTube, browse Chrome, download app and play his own games.

A month after that I gave my father 7'' Asus tablet so that it would be easier for me to communicate with him since his house is 2 hours away from my city. It took me almost 1 month to teach him how to use Facebook app and FB messenger alone. At least by educating him how to use an android device saved me a lot of monthly long-distance calls.

Moreover, my father had a new hobby, posting and sharing his Facebook status!

Tatiana Stan

Your post just reminded me of one hilarious video I saw a couple of weeks ago, where a grandma is absolutely shocked about the front camera of a smartphone.
This is the video, you should watch, her reaction is priceless.
Now back on topic, you are right, technology brings generations together. It's a great way to bond with the elder ones, spend time with them, reconnect and find out many interesting things about each other. And the look on their face when they finally understand how to use the device is worth it all.
Not only that it's a fun way to spend time with your grandparents, but it's also very useful for them, it eases their lifes a lot, for example when they need to find something online really quick, or when you live far away from them and you can see them through Skype or other programs.

Attachments

• technology-grandma_o_6898097.jpg
    technology-grandma_o_6898097.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 11

Fishbate

Fishbate
Wow that's very funny:)! but i mean it in a good way. Introducing new technologies to our elders will sometimes shock them, but it is natural. Also allowing them to see the cool stuff and features on smartphones will somehow get them curious and motivate them to try the technology.
It's our time to teach them, like the way they thought us when we where kids;).

ElGuapo96

Such a funny post, i had a similar story when my grandpa bought his first smartphone. He was so weirded out and confused by the way the touchscreen works. It was kind of like watching a caveman get teleported into the modern age, he is just staring weirdly and touch everything with extreme caution :D

I helped him figure it out, though. He is just playing games all day, the candy crush saga takes another victim :D

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

New Threads

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.