Perfect camera for a smartphone?

ElGuapo96

This is another one of those "what if?" threads where we just share our thoughts and ideas about the possible future devices.
Today's subject is going to be the absolute best and perfect camera for a smartphone. Operating system doesn't matter, same goes for the company's brand.
So, what i wanted to ask was what would make the best camera for a smartphone in your opinion?
Besides the resolution, picture quality, frame per second and realistic colors, what exactly should it possess that would make it perfect?
For me, personally, the ability to zoom into massive distance would make any camera really close to perfection. Second thing would be the memory that it occupies, imagine if all pictures could be just a couple of KB, how ridiculous would that be?

Share your thoughts, let's see what you like and what are your expectations of a potential world's best smartphone camera :)

starmz123

Ooh! Great topic, I love taking photos so I always consider the camera on my phone! I definitely agree with your points - zooming in without losing quality would be a dream for all cameras. Unfortunately, smartphones still seem much worse than normal cameras in this respect... And I can't think of any electronic device that I wouldn't want to produce tiny files! Honestly, I'm backing up my photos + videos right now and uploading these GB files is really killing my internet...

But anyway. :) Here's what I would want from a perfect smartphone camera. If it had all these features, I would never pick up a professional camera again (which hurts to say, because I don't want to give up the feel of handheld cameras - but it's much more convenient to use a phone since I'm always carrying one):
  • 1520596727251.png
    Night Sky Photography
    - I hear that there may exist phones that can shoot beautiful photos of the night sky, but my phone definitely can't. I can't even take good star photos with my DSLR! So it would be a DREAM to be able to photograph properly-exposed (none of that silly blown-out moon stuff) night photos. I would also really appreciate a good time-lapse feature, so I can shoot photos like the one above!
  • 1520597610399.png
    Changeable lenses/FOV/aperture
    - If smartphones are to replace cameras, they must be able to do everything a current camera can. Whether that's through adding on a lens or adding a slider in the camera app, I don't really care, as long as it happens ;)
  • 1520597114518.png
    Steady, stabilised footage
    - I'm considering buying a gimbal but what if smartphones finally had good stabilisation? I have no idea how they might be able to do this (since lens stabilisation isn't enough), and it's not that important to me, but it would be nice
  • No opening wait time - This is so important! The entire advantage a smartphone currently has over any normal camera is that it is much faster to take a photo with your smartphone, so you won't miss the moment
  • 1520597504528.png
    Proper automatic focus -
    This is a big thing to ask because a lot of normal cameras can't auto-focus properly. But what's the point of capturing your child's first steps, or the bunny popping up, if all you see is a blurry mess? Or even more infuriating, the grass behind it is sharp but not the bunny itself?! Yeah... Laser-quick and accurate focus is definitely necessary for a perfect smartphone camera

Last edited:
Reactions: ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96
Wow, that is exactly the type of reply to this thread, that i wanted :D
Such a great things you listed there.
Night sky photography matched with time lapse would be absolutely insane, we would look at this world from a completely different angle, so cool.

Regarding the changeable lens, why not just implement that feature in a phone, so you don't need external accessory that you need to carry with yourself all the time, imagine that.

When it comes to stabilization, i thought there already are smartphones that have this option? I'm not sure if it affects the quality, but i am pretty sure that thing already exists for smartphones.

The last thing is what bugs me the most when it comes to my phone. Opening wait time and extremely slow focus are so hard to deal with, literally takes me 3-5 seconds to get a good focus and to take a picture. It's really bad when you need to snap a fast photo of something cool that lasts for a small amount of time :)

Reactions: starmz123

starmz123

starmz123
Yes, I think my own phone actually has a stabilisation feature. If you compare it to a gimbal, however, the difference is night and day! So if it could get to that level, it would be amazing.

Reactions: ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96
Oh my god, that is some high tech stuff!
The difference is absolutely ridiculous, that is so insane :D
But i don't think you should be worried, not one single bit. The technology is developing so quickly that it is probably just a matter of months, year or two at most, before something like this is developed and it will probably be even better than we could have imagined.
Just have patience my friend, it will all come, very soon :)

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

New Threads

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.