A feature of a smartphone that needs improvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishbate

Nowadays a smartphone is one of the most dynamic device available. Truly the most versatile device a person could have. From shopping, business transactions, socializing, Music & Arts, Entertainment, and even health. You name it...its basically a touch away.

But with all of these features one of the problems with smartphones are the fact that they rely on radio signal. Which I think manufacturers should improve.

Have you ever been on a subway or a remote area? there's probably no signal right... unless there are sub antennas or a signal amplifier around.

In an emergency situation like natural disaster, a smartphone could be a life saver. A phone without a signal on a emergency situation is not good at all.

That is why in my opinion, a signal amplification or a special frequency during emergency is one feature that smartphone manufacturers needs to improve.

How about you?:unsure:

Last edited:

LoloyCabiling

Yeah man! I am totally in your side. Me, also wondering if the time will come that communication will totally defies distance. I am a fan of sci-fi movies wherein you can see that people in the future can easily transmit communications even between galaxies. And as the technology always in the go for a new discoveries, this is not an impossible to happen.

alexisdewford

I guess the feature that really needs improvement is the GPS. Yes, it may be not an important thing for smartphones, but oh boy, how I wish that it is more accurate when not connected online. In times we need it, and it happens that you are in an isolated place, it can really become annoyingly inaccurate - just when you need it the most.

DenisStenkler

In my opinion the phones needs to be improved in the battery life. The battery life for me is a big problem. When i go to town i use GPS all the time because in the other way i lost myself somewhere. And that cost so much for my battery. So at the same time i go scroll some facebook pages and the other stuffs and the battery when i come home is about 20%. So i have to recharge it every single day. It often happens that i have to charge my phone twice a day. So i think that the battery has more disadvantages then advantages.
The big advantage and something what i thing doesn't need to be improved is GPS. This thing is just so amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fishbate

Fishbate

Fishbate
I totally agree...but i think we don't have to wait that long. I have seen some news article about new battery technology.:) I just hope that it will come out in the market soon.
One new technology that is very interesting is Samsung's 'graphene ball' battery. This material that not only allows for a 45% increase in power density compared to traditional lithium-ion batteries, but also charging speeds up to five times faster.:eek:

This means more run-time less charging...:coffee:

azilabZil

Signal is really important when it comes to our smartphones and yes when you are located in a remote area it is really hard to find a spot where there is a signal. Battery is needed also but that is why we have now power-banks in case we have to call but our phone is low of charge. I just want to share an experience issuing signal on my smartphone. So I applied for a job in two cities 2 hours travel time from where I live and both company are willing to hire me but that is where my jammed signal comes in because as I have said I live in a remote area and there is a poor signal unless I go to the town proper or near the highway where there's a signal spot, it nearly took three days before I was contacted by neither company and sad to say that they already got someone else for my position, I felt sad but hey maybe its not for me. So anyone out there who have the brains to fix and make smartphone signals better, why not share and connect everyone wherever they are without interruption.

Fishbate

Fishbate
I'm sorry to hear that @azilabZil:cry: , a clear example on how technology affects our lives. There are several reasons why your area have no signal reception. One reason is your area is too far from the signal tower, second is that your surroundings have signal interference. Lastly its either your area is a dead spoto_O.

There are ways you can help improve your area signal. Of course you have to do little research and some effort. One thing is building your own YAGI antenna.... All radio frequencies have different peaks or levels..that's why sometimes you have a FM radio signal but there is no GPRS signal. Its because their not in the same frequency. Its not easy building it but i tell you its worth it...:sneaky:

you can check this site to learn more about it:
http://www.rfwireless-world.com/calculators/3-element-Yagi-Antenna-Calculator.html

You can also avail pre-assembled YAGI antenna in the market if your willing to buy one. There's a lot out in the market. Just be sure to pick the right that suits you.:unsure:

Also there is a device called 3G Signal amplifier, this one helps boost the signal within your home. It comes with a outdoor antenna, a signal repeater, and a indoor signal distributor. These may cost you but it will deliver...

Before picking one of these options you should do a little research on your area, example is how far are your area on the nearest tower, what is your area elevation , and are their electro mechanical factories surround your area:unsure:.

I really hope this helps:coffee:!

Reactions: azilabZil

azilabZil

azilabZil
@Fishbate, This YAGI antenna I am not familiar with but I would check out the link you gave and read and study what's this about. Thanks! I'll keep you posted if YAGI will help the signal interference in my area.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    54 KB · Views: 11

Fishbate

Fishbate
Your most welcome @azilabZil , just to remind you that a Yagi antenna may or may not work for your area. It all depends on the circumstances your area have. Although i have tried it years ago on my province, i would say that this really works. You just have to be more patient building it. One important thing is that the measurements of the antenna is very important. A cm difference would be a great a effect on the function. If i am not mistaken, it took me a week or two trying to figure it out, doing trial and error:p.

The result was not that great but it was fair, from 0 signal to two bars.....:)
I wish you luck on your project:coffee:.
Have a great day...

shanndelbert

For me, as technology further advances, different innovation will rise in different needs in the society, so most probably it will come to pass as it benefits the people.

mharzenas

I only experiencing signal loss when I were in a trip. In a provinces there are no signal at all but It also a good thing for us because we experience things aways from our gadgets. When we are in regular days I didn't experiencing any signal loss

Vinsanity

Okay first let me tell you about the wireless mobile communication system.
First the antenna. In Radio Frequency Engineering antennas are installed on towers. This is to increase the signal coverage. You know, the higher the altitude the better. However make sure that your antenna power is high enough to cover higher geographical area.

Other than the antenna, the more technical parts of the mobile communication system are the Base Transceiver Station (BTS) which gives the antenna the power it needs to send and receive RF signals, the Base Station Controller (BSC) which is responsible for handover and Mobile Switching Station (MSC) to regulate network change. In simpler terms, BSC and MSC are responsible for the high signal to low signal and vice versa we experience when we are driving.

Back to the point where smartphones only rely to radio signals. Yes, currently it is the most efficient way to deliver data, voice calls and video signals all over the world. Radio signals which range from 20 kHz to 300 GHz are the only frequency in the electromagnetic spectrum that can actually travel at greater distance in free space. Frequencies lower than 20 kHz like the ones being produced by our voice or even the electrical frequency (60 Hz or 50 Hz) cannot be transmitted at great distances because they attenuate easily. We need to install much amplifiers which is not cost effective. Moreover frequencies higher than 300 GHz, are very dangerous to humans. One of these is gamma rays.

With regards to subway and remote area, it is the least priority of RF design engineers. They decide where to place the towers based on the number of people residing in a place or in a cell. Of course, they will efficiently place a tower in the middle of a town so that more people can get signal with their phones. Subways can also be under the signal coverage but the problem with them is the type of material used to construct them. Subways have heavy concrete materials. RF signals find it hard to go through these type of materials. You are right about your point where we need signals in subways as well. We must at least place an antenna inside a subway which is connected with a BTS, BSC and MSC but come to think of it. How much money are you going to spend for that? If you are a businessman, are you going to invest and place antennas in subways?

About the amplification of signal in our phones during emergency like earthquakes, that would take too much power from the battery in your phone. Your phone might end up dead immediately if we do that. That would be useless. Like what I have indicated here before, signals find it hard to penetrate through hard concrete walls. So I think it is inevitable to not receive signals during those emergencies, unless you are in an open space, there is still a chance.

Last edited:

Kakashi2020

Basically there should be a signal everywhere right? I think there's no question that we already have the technology to solve that problem but I think the problem is more on implementation parameters and laws.

kaisantos2229

Nowadays a smartphone is one of the most dynamic device available. Truly the most versatile device a person could have. From shopping, business transactions, socializing, Music & Arts, Entertainment, and even health. You name it...its basically a touch away.

But with all of these features one of the problems with smartphones are the fact that they rely on radio signal. Which I think manufacturers should improve.

Have you ever been on a subway or a remote area? there's probably no signal right... unless there are sub antennas or a signal amplifier around.

In an emergency situation like natural disaster, a smartphone could be a life saver. A phone without a signal on a emergency situation is not good at all.

That is why in my opinion, a signal amplification or a special frequency during emergency is one feature that smartphone manufacturers needs to improve.

How about you?:unsure:

I agree with you, tech companies such as Apple, Samsung and other dedicate more of their time to improve and develop their mobile phones signal frequency range. I mean, they are giving too much attention in developing their mobile phone cameras which is not really the main purpose of a mobile phone. Instead on developing good cameras for taking selfies, I think they give more importance on how to develop a mobile phone that can have the ability of a satellite phone if possible. And there is one more thing that the tech company should consider developing and that is improving the battery life of a mobile phone, if they can put a military grade power source on a smartphone that will better. And what made it sucks is, we should have better mobile device today because of the evolution of technology but it seems like the older mobile phones has better signal capabilities than the newer mobile phones today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

New Threads

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.