Meaning of Unknown Notification Icons on iPhone

BillEssley

The E symbol, moon or arrow icon may appear on Apple phones, but no more people understands its meanings.

TTY icon

Meaning of Unknown Notification Icons on iPhone 1.jpg

Teletype (TTY) is designed for people with hearing or hearing impairments that are more convenient to use. Features to use with TTY adapter for iPhone and set in Settings> General> Accessibility> TTY.

Call forwarding

Meaning of Unknown Notification Icons on iPhone 2.jpg

Call Forwarding allows the user to divert the call to another phone number that was previously set up. You can set up redirection in some cases such as busy, shutdown or lost device ... This mode is found in Settings> Phone> Call Forwarding.

Do Not Disturb

Meaning of Unknown Notification Icons on iPhone 3.jpg

The "moon" icon on the bottom right corner of the screen indicates that the iPhone, iPad is triggering Do not Disturb. As the name implies, this will turn off all notifications (sound and vibration) except for the alarm that the user is not disturbed. When a call comes in, the phone will automatically reject. Go to Settings> Do Not Disturb for advanced settings.

GPS positioning

Meaning of Unknown Notification Icons on iPhone 4.jpg

The arrow on the right hand side of the screen shows the user information about the iPhone's location service. If it has a purple color, the application is using GPS, if it is grayscale, the app has been using location services for the past 24 hours. Configurable GPS positioning can be adjusted in Settings> Privacy> Location Services.

GPRS / E network

Meaning of Unknown Notification Icons on iPhone 5.jpg

When 3G, 4G LTE becomes widely available, ordinary users will rarely see the GPRS / E symbol next to the wave column. This is the old cellular network with slow speeds, even where there is no coverage. GPRS is a 2G network, while E (EDGE) is 2.5G or 2.75G.

Screen rotation

Meaning of Unknown Notification Icons on iPhone 6.jpg

When you see this icon means iPhone, iPad is locked screen rotation. At that time, whether you have horizontal or set the device in any way, the display remains the same. To quickly change the lock mode, user need to swipe the control bar at the bottom of the screen through the Control Center.

Battery on the Bluetooth device

Meaning of Unknown Notification Icons on iPhone 7.jpg

Some devices when connecting Bluetooth to the iPhone or iPad will appear a secondary battery icon located near the usual battery icon. It will notify the battery status of the external device that the user can check on the iPhone.

However, not all Bluetooth products have this feature.

Last edited:

Jigz Alvarina Lim

Thank you for these helpful tips. I owned iPhone 6 for almost 4 year yet I am not familiar with some of these. Does it mean that if you are on the "Do not Disturb" mode, you won't be notified whenever someone chats you? Based on my experience as I was playing Mobile Legends last month, I turned on my Do Not Disturb button but chat heads are always popping up whenever someone chats.

BillEssley

BillEssley
Does it mean that if you are on the "Do not Disturb" mode, you won't be notified whenever someone chats you? Based on my experience as I was playing Mobile Legends last month, I turned on my Do Not Disturb button but chat heads are always popping up whenever someone chats.
Are you talking about phone calls or messages? If that then you still receive them normally when you are on Do Not Disturb mode.

clairenyte

Thank you for the valuable information. I really like iphone, i really help me understand more its features. Thank you again and hope that more post to come..

Kakashi2020

Good Helpful Tips. Those are the basics a smartphone user must know. Usually these notifications goes unnoticed or simply, the user sees it and just never cares about finding out what it's for. It's good you discussed the purpose of these notification icons.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views