Can I use any charger for any device?

itsmarkf

My Samsung charger is not working properly and I don't want to spend money on buying a new one. Can I use my Asus charger to charge my Samsung tablet? Is it safe? Or can it harm my device?

Fishbate

My Samsung charger is not working properly and I don't want to spend money on buying a new one. Can I use my Asus charger to charge my Samsung tablet? Is it safe? Or can it harm my device?

Hi @itsmarkf, yes you can but i do not recommend it, there are highly important details to consider before trying to use a none OEM charger. Before you start using any charger, always check the specifications written on the label attached to the original charger:cool:.

Here are some of the details:

1520419975915.png

A: Input Voltage- this item is very important to check before plugging the charger to an outlet. Be sure that the charger is an auto volt, 110-220 means it has the ability to control the voltage in the two range. Be aware that if you use a 110v device to a 220v outlet it will probably get burned or worst explode. :eek:

B: Output voltage - this is the current that is going to your smartphone, now if your smartphone current requirement is lower than the output of the charger, the tendency is a rapid heating of your smartphone and eventually it will damage your smartphone components.

C: Ampere Rating - this is the amount of power that a charger can deliver during charging. Now if the ampere rating is too high for your smartphone. It will eventually damage the charge / power regulator of the smartphone.

D: UL / CUL : this is a certificate that ensures the charger is tested and verified by the manufacturer. This assures that the charger you are using is in the highest quality. This also certifies that the charger has protection on heat base on standards.

Have a great day:coffee:!

Reactions: itsmarkf and Admin

Dracindo

Dracindo
Excellent explanation, couldn't have possible said it better. Seriously, all I would've said is that there are specific details that it would be a dangerous choice to try a different charger. If you're not certain about it, don't do it.

Remember to always take great care of your stuff, chargers should last much longer than phones. It's a good thing for you that chargers aren't necessarily expensive. But you know, you can also buy a powerbank. Get one with the right connectors and you can plug it anywhere and anytime your PC is open.

ElGuapo96

You absolutely can, my friend. Any device can be charged up with any charger. The only issue regarding your situation would be that the voltage in chargers are different. I don't think it's drastic enough to severely damage your tablet or a phone, but it can most definitely cause at least some damage.
Maybe it will hurt your battery so it will charge slower, or it can hurt the tablet's screen. Although i wouldn't worry too much if i were you. I have had a Nokia phone for the last 4 years, constantly charged it by using different brand chargers and have never experienced any kind of problems :)

timothypangilinan

I suggest to use the original one which is 100% compatible with your device. Some other phones aren't compatible with other chargers which cause the charging to slow down. I have tried using alternative charger for my phone and it's not compatible. The charging slowed down even after two hours of charging. This notification pops up on my phone:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-09-12-18-22.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-09-12-18-22.png
    521.5 KB · Views: 21

Sev7en

Hello there @itsmarkf :)! There's no problem if you use a different adapter on your phone. There is only a slight difference if, only if, your current smartphone has a quick/fast charge capability that only your OEM adapter can support. And the replacement adapter isn't quick/fast charge supported thus gives low output that can result to slow charging. If you're used to fast charging then using a different adapter will negate this capability. Otherwise, if you're current phone isn't capable of quick/fast charging then you don't need to worry anything.

Happy charging ;).

kathness

I've done that in the past and I definitely won't recommend it. I feel like my phone's battery life is depreciating one way or another. I would always prefer to use my phone's original charger because I know that charger is specifically made for my phone.

Shannettemc

I don't know all of the ends and outs of electronics, but I do know that I have been using the same charger for many of my devices and they all still work fine. I have been doing this for a few years now, so I think you are okay.(y)

Joey Mercado

Hello @itsmarkf , As you have noticed most of the answers will be yes, And YES it is really possible to use the charger of other brand as long as they have the same style of socket and capable with, other things If they have the same voltage, as you can see @Fishbate reply he elaborate well the possible things and important details to note down in using the other charging device, that most of us are just ignore at the first place (including my self before) But as like them also, Yes it is possible to use but I am not recommending it because it will have an impact in your gadgets maybe not an instant but in a gradual effect that seems to be unnoticeable in the first place. If its case of emergency and no other charger available try it once but not always. Hope it helps

Older threads
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.