Battle for Polytopia

Lazard

I love Civilization, it's a great strategy game but it's only available on PC and one game takes minimum 3h.

On the other hand, I have an Android and I wanted to be able to play Civilization on the go. A mobile version of Civilization exist but it's slow and sometimes not really great...

So I turned myself to Polytopia. It's a free game made by a Civilization fan. It's like a lightweight version of Civilization that is greatly adapted for mobile devices.

If you want a good strategy game on your phone, try Polytopia ;)

(Disclaimer : I have no financial interest in the game, I just like it and wanted to share)

vpatella

Would you mind drawing up a small list of pros and cons? I'm a huge fan of Civilization, but not particularly a fan of mobile games.

Lazard

Lazard
Yes of course !

Pros :
- It's graphically appealing (at least for me)
- It's free
- It plays roughly the same as Civilization (minus the relationship between countries, which is sad but understandable for a mobile version)

Cons :
-If you are a hardcore fan of Civ and want the same, you'll be disappointed, it's really a lightweight version
-You cannot play all the different races without paying
-You cannot play online (but you can play locally with a "pass and play" system)

vpatella

vpatella
Interesting. I'd be willing to give it a shot. Not being able to play online doesn't really bother me, I prefer to play these types of games alone anyways. You did a good job selling me on it, thanks for typing that up.

Dracindo

Dracindo
I don't know what's worse, the fact that you have to pay a dollar to unlock a single race, or that you need to pay to play online. Couldn't they just put the game on the store as a demo, and the full game for about $5 or $10, with all races available (maybe without the premium ones) and online mode unlocked?

glxyk1sses

I love Civilization, it's a great strategy game but it's only available on PC and one game takes minimum 3h.

On the other hand, I have an Android and I wanted to be able to play Civilization on the go. A mobile version of Civilization exist but it's slow and sometimes not really great...

So I turned myself to Polytopia. It's a free game made by a Civilization fan. It's like a lightweight version of Civilization that is greatly adapted for mobile devices.

If you want a good strategy game on your phone, try Polytopia;)

(Disclaimer : I have no financial interest in the game, I just like it and wanted to share)
I am so happy to see a post about Polytopia!!! What an addicting game! I will never forget the first day that I installed that app on my phone. I think I spent roughly 3 hours in bed playing non-stop, completely losing track of time. I highly reccomend this game to anyone who has ever enjoyed games such as Civilization, Risk, etc.

I just really had to drop in and post on how much I absolutely adore this game! :love: It has been installed on my phone and tablet ever since I first discovered it over a year ago. It's definitely considered one of my "essential" games now.

Dracindo

I've installed this game recently and I love to play it, but not every moment of the day. It's fun the first time you play it, but the gameplay gets pretty boring if you play 3 games in a row. Higher difficulty settings make it more interesting, but once you get used to it, it gets rather boring, playing against bots.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game and especially when you don't have internet outside your home. But the short playtime is a gift and shame. It's fun for when you have a short break, and you can always continue later, but every game against AI becomes pretictable.

It would be awesome if the game got a custom maps feature, where players can create their own maps and others can download and play on them. That way, you can have situations where your first settlement will be put on a small island in the middle of the map, surrounded by water, limiting early game progress for you, and allowing the AI to get the upperhand while you save up to invent and build a port.

All and all, it's a good game. I just wish that online gameplay wasn't locked for free players, but I can understand why they've chosen to do that. Maybe one day...

Dracindo

So guys, I started playing this again, now trying to go for that 50.000 score to get 3 stars. My highest score is a bit above 28.000 with Baldur. Anyone got any recommendations on getting those 3 stars? Things I should focus on? I'm guessing I should play on Crazy and with 3 opponents to get the highest bonusses, but what else?
Any tips? Guides?

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies