Smartwatch replacing phones?

ElGuapo96

So, i have been informed that smartwatches are massively improving and that they are almost as good and as useful as your regular smartphone.
I was wondering if any of you think that some day they will completely replace smartphones? Are they going to improve enough to be able to perform all the functions that a smartphone can? Considering how they are much smaller and physically way more practical than your average phone, i think this is a very real possibility.
Also, regarding the future of these devices, do you think we are ever going to see something similar that is shown in the picture below?

Smartwatch-650x366.jpg

Let me know what you think, i would really love to share some thoughts with you :)

Fishbate

In my opinion, it will someday replace the smartphones but only in terms of flexibility. Smartwatches are lightweight and much smaller, this may be the significant factor that may replace the smartphones. Not long ago we are bound using computers, but when laptops emerge in the market users dramatically switched to Laptops. And when smartphones gets much advance the same thing happened, most of us switched to smartphones.

I think the future of smartwatches depends on how the manufacturers innovate its features.

Reactions: ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96
How do you imagine smartwatches in the future, regarding their physical appearance? I just can't help it but think of things like holograms/projectors and i feel like they will be a big bigger than average watch, longer at least, and much thinner. Basically something like a bracer :D
Good point on the laptop thing, i really hope it will go the same way with smartwatches, they seem like they have so much potential, it's just a matter of time.

Bords64

Smartwatches just like any other forms of technology are very much into evolution, they're improving, getting better each time. But as to the question if they could replace smartphones, my opinion is unlikely. Since smartwatches are kind of small, there could always be a problem navigating or operating such like texting or viewing an image. If you use it to call there could be less of a problem though. There is always shortage of convenience of using smartwatches due to their size unlike a smartphone. However it would be good to use it along side with a smartphone especially for emergency purposes.

jellybean

My father-in-law is an avid fan of smartwatch. He would always watch YouTube videos about the comparison of different smartwatches, and he's amazed on how compact and convenient it will be for everyone. He does share the same idea that smartwatches are going to replace phones in the future.
At first, I cannot imagine it, because I am a person who prefer actual things; and up to now, I prefer the actual book rather than the digital ones. But, we also have to keep up with the fast moving world around us. So I think, it will be more helpful if you have a device that won't take up much space, can be worn, and has everything you need, in just a glimpse.
I would agree that smartwatches would soon replace smartphones; and yes it would depend on how the manufacturers would develop it. Just like in the movies, holograms are going to be a basic feature. There will be a variety of designs, I am imagining small and big screens, with functioning straps as well. Maybe they could serve as special buttons. I just cannot imagine, for now, if it's going to be thin, how are they going to fit all the devices necessary to replace a high end phone? Like having bigger storage and long lasting battery.

ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96
I am also an old timer, i prefer books, older music and style of dressing, but some things just need to improve and it's for the best to let it improve and to accept it and implement into our lifestyles.
Well, they could be very thin, like a bracelet. Just think of how extremely high quality and strong laptops there are, and they are ultra thin. Why couldn't the same thing just be wrapped around your arm, with the addition of a hologram projector :D

I don't know for sure, but i think it's a very real option soon,also you could just hide it under your shirt, imagine how cool that would be.

starmz123

I'm not sure - I think smartwatches can be incredibly useful if you have the right sort of lifestyle, but right now they seem more like fun gadgets. My dad praises his smartwatch and has tried to get my brother his own but I only really see him using the watch to check messages, weather and so on. It seems like the screen is too small for me to enjoy using it for a long time - I wouldn't want to text someone, write an email or watch a video on it! In that sense, I don't agree that they are equally as practical as a phone.

On the other hand, if we have holographic watches in the future, that would be really cool! I think that would really open up the realm for useful smartwatches, a la the Minority Report. I'm not sure such an interface would be limited to smartwatches, however. It seems like techies are focusing more on hands-free interfaces (e.g. Google Glass)- though that might change, considering these glasses were not very well-received.

I'm confident we'll get there some day, I'm just not sure whether the smartwatch will serve as an intermediary stage. :)

ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96
To be honest, i don't really think that glasses should be even compared to this idea. They just failed horribly. It seemed like a decent idea but it just looks dumb and it's not to practical. I mean you literally can't see anything else when you put them on :D
Having the same, or even more features just plastered on your wrist would be insanely good, just think about it.
I'm glad that someone else shares the same ideas as me and the same amount of hope for our future, regarding the technology.

estads03

I think it will or some other wearable technology will take the part of the smartphones and that it is just a matter of when. Having your phone integrated in your watch means minimizing the chance of you losing your phone. However, for me the problem lies in the size. If maybe they can make watches with bigger screens aesthetically pleasing, then I guess it will be definitely gain grounds in the market.

amarkayam

i think it will not completely replace the smartphone as both tend to perform some respective features which makes them unique in their own way.

Dracindo

Considering the screen size, I highly doubt a smartwatch will fully replace the smartphone. Imaging the watch having a screen as big as all the current phones, I don't know about you guys, but I would feel very uncomfortable with something that big on my watch. Larger people with bigger fingers may stick with phones as well or by a pen for their smartwatch.

Maybe someday, far in the future, but I don't think I'll be able to live long enough to see smartphones be replaced by smartwatches.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

New Threads

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.