Phone cameras comparable to a professional camera?

ElGuapo96

Are there any phones out there that can actually compete with a professional camera? Let's talk about all the areas, not only video/picture quality. I'm thinking about the zoom, colors, fps, resolution, basically everything.
Is there anyone out here who has experience with high quality camera phones that can share that experience with us? I would really appreciate some feedback considering how much phones are improving and evolving, i think this is a very realistic discussion. I was watching a video where they showed a P-900 camera recording of the moon and the optical zoom was so insane that you can basically see the moon as if you are extremely close to it. Is there any phone out there that has similar quality camera? And if not, which one is the closest, the best of them all?

Here is a picture of that moon zoom, just found it.
moonmovement.jpg

Feel free to share pictures, videos, phone and camera specifications, anything that can contribute to this topic.

Ronald2505

I mean professional cameras are built for professional photography. Where smartphone cameras are built just for social purposes. My answer is no, professional cameras are way beyond the smartphone cameras. But there are devices that you can attach in smartphones to improve their cameras. An example of these devices is Moment Lens. It can improve the quality of cameras in smartphones.

Reactions: jennyholzertshirt

jennyholzertshirt

jennyholzertshirt
Though I think you're right, it depends on who you're talking about. For most people in the world, smartphone cameras will be better, precisely because they're so simple! The average person would very likely mess up a perfectly good picture because a professional camera has too many options for them to understand. From a technical standpoint, yes obviously professional cameras are better, higher quality, and everything else. But if you're looking for best proportional quality to ease of use, then the most recent versions of the iPhone camera might be hard to beat.

Fishbate

I have some previous discussion that is related to this topic. I have also found some articles where an smartphone is being used as means of taking photos professionally. In the article you can see that the photos are quite remarkable specially those underwater shots which was taken from an iPhone.

You can check the discussion here:
Hi @windbriker ,smartphone technology nowadays have these features. Of course you need some tools and an application to enhance the result of the pictures.
One tool to consider is a tripod, a good tripod can make your pictures on focus and still. Choose a tripod that includes some features that fits your needs like positioning features, access and control options. One certain product is called Studio Neat, you can check the product here: https://www.studioneat.com/products/glif

Another thing is enhancing your smartphone camera capability specially during night. One application for you to consider is CAMERA FV-5 this application runs on Android. This app gives you smartphone a DSLR feature.
You can check the app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flavionet.android.camera.pro&hl=en

Another app that runs in IOS is NightCap Camera, it's a powerful app that takes amazing low light and night photos, videos and 4K time lapse.
You can check the app here: http://www.nightcapcamera.com/nightcap-camera/

Take note that there may be more much better apps out there. I also think that the smartphones specification is a significant factor in creating good pictures.

678-5fb53e33340ffa4abff8255f38591260.jpg

I found an article about space photography for your reference:
https://photographingspace.com/smartphone-part-1/

I hope this helps:coffee:!

biz

I don't think if the phone camera is comparable or better than professional camera. Phone camera has low pixels unlike professional has big memory and pixels used and all the captured form professional are great and it looks like more real than phone camera.

bleach123

True! New iPhone generations have amazing resolution and zoom in. Most of those vloggers who are just starting are using iPhone and it's fantastic.

Dracindo

Dracindo
But can it really compare to a professional camera? After all, they are designed for that purpose. I'm not saying that the more it costs the better it is, but if iPhones would take better pics than a camera, why would anyone still buy camera's.

Melancholy

The new iPhone generations are known for their brilliant quality and resolution for pictures. There are also a few Android devices that are claimed to have high-quality photograph technology as well if iPhones aren't your thing.

amarkayam

both phone cameras and professional cameras serves a different purpose. As professional cameras mainly used for photography and professional stuff while phone cameras are meant for general use even though they had some great features they can't be compared with the professional cameras.

gtorres08

In my opinion, having that great "zooming quality" would affect other aspects of the camera. If we are talking about smartphones, it is understandable that zooming in close like that would take a toll on the image's "resolution" quality. Realistically speaking, there is no smartphone YET, as far as I know, that can attain a comparable quality as that of a professional camera. However, it doesn't mean that there has never been a closest substitute.

If you are seeking for a legitimate high quality smartphone then try checking out Huawei's P20 Pro. Being the very first phone to have triple camera lenses, this phone is strategically made for photography whether you are an amateur or a professional. Not to mention that the camera is incorporated with Leica lenses, a German company who manufactures premium quality optics and lenses for DSLR cameras. It has a 40 megapixel camera, which is undoubtedly better than most phones (including Apple products), and a lot more camera features that would give you a high quality experience in photography.

However, I don't consider this as perfect. As I have mentioned, it is one of the best and closest in terms of smartphone photography. There are pros like dust and water resistance, resembling an Iphone X look, an ingenious glass-metal display and many more, but has cons too like no headphone jack and a ridiculously small 6 inch screen display.

You can search more information regarding the details about this magnificent phone. You might or might not like it, but at least you get to know the phone with your own personal taste.

TSM

Are there any phones out there that can actually compete with a professional camera? Let's talk about all the areas, not only video/picture quality. I'm thinking about the zoom, colors, fps, resolution, basically everything.
Is there anyone out here who has experience with high quality camera phones that can share that experience with us? I would really appreciate some feedback considering how much phones are improving and evolving, i think this is a very realistic discussion. I was watching a video where they showed a P-900 camera recording of the moon and the optical zoom was so insane that you can basically see the moon as if you are extremely close to it. Is there any phone out there that has similar quality camera? And if not, which one is the closest, the best of them all?

Here is a picture of that moon zoom, just found it.
View attachment 842

Feel free to share pictures, videos, phone and camera specifications, anything that can contribute to this topic.

I am an avid photographer and travelled Europe for 3 months last year. I brought my Canon 7D D-SLR with me but early into my trip found that my Huawei P10 takes amazing pictures and was good enough to replace my D-SLR. What I found most handy about shooting with a phone is that you can immediately edit and share photos and the ability to shoot panoramic photos without having the manually stitch each shot together. My phone has become my go to for convenience and easy of carry.

Arnorth24

A professional camera that you use this days are more advanced than the smartphone camera. Think about it. A professional camera is built solely for taking pictures and videos. If a smartphone camera could top that then the point of making a professional camera is useless. There are many great smartphone cameras today, theirs no doubt. But comparing the top smartphone camera and the top professional camera would put the smartphone to shame.

But if you're talking about an old camera and smartphone camera then there would be a chance it could go hand to hand. But anyways this is just my opinion.

mcnasci24

It depends on the purpose of the user. If you are taking photos just for Social Media posting, a phone with a good camera such as an iPhone might do the trick. If, however, you are a photographer who will print and showcase your work in art galleries, or if you wish to sell photographies, a professional camera such as a DSLR will always be superior and the photographs taken with it will have higher quality than those of any smartphone.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views