Fingerprint sensor under the screen, the difference of Huawei Mate 20 Pro

Rodney Olson

For Huawei Mate 20 Pro, one of the features that make this model different from other flagships is the fingerprint recognition feature located below the screen.

How the fingerprint sensor works under the screen

We all know the current fingerprint sensors on most smartphones based on capacitive technology, using micro capacitor circuit boards to store information and remember users' fingerprints. However, the technology that requires the hands of the user must touch the fingerprint sensor directly, which leads to phone models that need a dedicated space for this sensor. Huawei Mate 20 Pro's fingerprint sensor system is also equipped. A sensor plate below the panel, through which the user places his or her hand on the sensor, the screen light will help this sensor capture the shape of the fingerprint, to compare it with the stored fingerprint pattern.

Taking advantage of the screen light, the sensor will record the user's fingerprint pattern.

How meaningful does it use to use the fingerprint sensor under the screen?

For traditional capacitive fingerprint sensors, the manufacturer must always raise and put down, find a suitable location for it, because users are forced to place their hands directly on the new sensor that can be identified. The position of the fingerprint sensor must be both handy and aesthetically pleasing. Therefore, many manufacturers have had a headache because of this problem; even Apple had to type fingerprint sensor out of the iPhone to have a minimalist design. Contrast with the current trend, when manufacturers are trying to optimize the design in many ways, including a borderline screen. This makes the buttons need to be removed, and of course, the fingerprint sensor has no place. However, where to fingerprint sensor is more comfortable and more convenient than the front of the screen. So, in the meantime, the solution for placing fingerprint sensors below the screen of Huawei Mate 20 Pro is an efficient solution.

Fingerprint sensor under the screen, the difference of Huawei Mate 20 Pro.jpg

The front fingerprint position is a very convenient location, but since the screen is getting closer, many manufacturers have to move it elsewhere.

Uses of fingerprint sensors under the screen?

There are many ideas that the use of optics makes fingerprint recognition speed not as fast as using capacitive sensors. This may be true. However, put in place a phone user. Users do not necessarily need to be fast but need to use it on a regular basis. Recalling the Galaxy Note 8 fingerprint sensor, which is also considered super fast, but placed in a position too high compared to the user's reach, so no one uses that function anymore. So what's faster to do? The Huawei Mate 20 Pro's sensor is also rated very fast and accurate if it's slower, it's only about 0.5 seconds slower than other sensors. This does not seem to have much impact. Also, the fingerprint placed under the screen will help fingerprint sensors to be better protected, no scratches during use.

In short, placing fingerprints below the screen is a bold move for Huawei Mate 20 Pro, when at this time, very few manufacturers dare to do the same. However, this will also be a significant advantage for this phone, when it still ensures the minimum criteria for buttons, but even integrates fingerprint technology which is already familiar to users.

Dracindo

I don't have the Mate 20 Pro, just a P10 Mini, however it also has a fingerprint sensor. I just don't see much use for this. First time I used it, my phone vibrated, and I think it happened like that for a few times, but then it never responded again. I don't really see the use in this.
Maybe it's just a setting I have to turn on?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.