How to defragment your computer's hard drive

EfficientNinja

After a period of use, you will feel the speed of your computer has slowed down significantly. Defragging your hard drive will keep your PC running at a more responsive state.

ee353fc9-cd9e-4635-b255-8b796f80c528-en

Note: Defragmentation should only be done with a hard drive and SSDs should not be defragmented because it will reduce its life.

Disk fragmentation occurs when data on a hard drive is scattered, resulting in longer drive read times and slower computer performance. Hard drive defragmentation is a means of redistributing the data in the hard drive.

Here we will use Windows' Defragmentation Tool to defragment the hard drive:

Step 1: Hit the Windows key and type/search Optimize Drives.

Step 2: Select the partition you want to defrag choose Analyze to check your hard drive if it needs defragmentation.

Step 3: Click Optimize to defragment your drive.

Note: You can also set the schedule for automatic defragmentation of the hard drive when by clicking Change settings.

In the Frequency section, you have the option of automatically defragging time.

I hope this guide helps in speeding up your computer. :)

Dracindo

Cool guide. Now, I haven't done it (most likely because I don't really know what defragmantation was), but how or why does it reduce the life span of SSD's? I'm just asking out of curiousity, in case a good friend tells me to defrag everything, I tell him 'Not the SSD', he asks why, and I can't respond to that.

It's always good to know why you should(n't) do certain things. :D

virtualjsb

virtualjsb

I have read two articles for each topic "defrag SSD" and "not to defrag SSD". And I think there's nothing wrong doing it. You just have to limit or if you may, avoid doing it. The purpose of defraging your mechanical hard drives is to optimize the access of data written on it. It's like organizing how data's are placed in the storage. On the other hand SSD's perform quite much more efficient than the standard hard drive thus the need for optimization is not needed.

Rob Reece

I would not recommend using default tool of Windows to defragment your computer's hard drive because it is pretty slow. Instead of that, you can search and find Remo Drive Defrag Software or Hard Drive Defragmentation software.

Dracindo

Dracindo
I can usually find time to defragment, or find something else to do. I never feel safe using other programs that are not already installed. It's just like an antivirus program, there are many out there, but most either do half work, some are even have virusses, and a few are free and do a good job.

Reactions: Rob Reece

Rob Reece

Rob Reece
I can usually find time to defragment, or find something else to do. I never feel safe using other programs that are not already installed
I agree with you but before installing a program, you need to check and read reviews about it. if it is good to go, then we can install and use to fragment our computer's hard drive.

Dracindo

Dracindo
Yeah, that's what I started doing a long time ago for certain money making apps, so I know that just looking at the star rating is not enough. If the program or app is terrible, then you can already tell by some of the top reviews of it.

But you're saying Remo Drive Defrag Software and Hard Drive Defragmentation software are both good apps then? I don't need such software immediatly, but it's always good to know all the options. I mean, just because I don't mind the default program, doesn't mean I shouldn't keep an eye out for better stuff.

Rob Reece

Rob Reece
I mean, just because I don't mind the default program, doesn't mean I shouldn't keep an eye out for better stuff.
Default programs works as well for small data on disks but when you have disks with large data and need to finish this job faster then you might think about such software. It is faster and easy to use too.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads