How many icons you have on your desktop ?

How many icons do you have

• 1-3

• 3-5

• 5-10

• More than 10

Results are only viewable after voting.

DenisMNE

I only have google chrome as I use it on daily basis, recycle bin since you really need one, haha and a folder that contains stuff I often use.
I do not have the need to have many icons since I am very simple guy that does not do a lot of gaming recently, since games would occupy majority of my screen when I was younger.

So, how many of them you have and why ?

EfficientNinja

I only have my recycle bin icon on my desktop too. I like to keep it simple and minimal. I find it too dirty to have too many desktop icons. Minimalist for life! :D

Dracindo

More than 10. With the amount of games I have and software programs I like using (like Unity), I'd like to be able to only double click, rather than having to press start and type in the first 3 letters of what I'm trying to open, which doesn't always work with Steam games.

I just did a quick count, and I have about 53 icons on my screen :geek:

jennyholzertshirt

jennyholzertshirt
I used to be this kind of person, but it was pretty much just because I would put things on my desktop so they would be easy to find for a particular assignment/project and be too lazy to move it somewhere else after I was finished. Ever since I got a new computer, I've vastly preferred having only a few icons, and I'll sacrifice the few extra seconds a day to find my programs if it means that the rest of the time my desktop looks nice and clear.

Dracindo

Dracindo
Wow, I never went that far with icons. If I had many projects, I'd save them in a folder and have an icon for the software I'd open the projects with, which should have options for opening them swiftly. At the very least, I'd put to folder with all projects on my screen, so that I can access them all immediatly, but the only time I place a single project or file on my desktop, it's only if I need a temporary spot for that file.

gconcha

gconcha
This is me right now. I have more than 30 icons on my desktop and I know that I have to get rid of some of those them. It really is time consuming whenever you have to use a certain file and you can't quite figure out where you saved them! I really do need to do something about it right now. Thank you for this.

KIRZZ

For internet browser I have Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer displayed on my screen right now. I don't know why I have three of them, I only use Google Chrome. I realized now that I have to get rid of the two. Recycle Bin is present also, and some software like Photoshop and Illustrator which I use everyday. Overall, I have 15 icons displayed on my desktop because I have some folders displayed for easy access.

stbrians

I do not want to count because the icons I have are numerous. There are many of them. I use do many apps and games. I think these icons slow up my computer.

Dracindo

Dracindo
The icons themselves are just short cuts. At best, they only take up a few bytes of memory space. The programs they are connected to would be the reason why a computer would slow down. If you play a heavy game (like The Elder Scrolls Online), then removing its icon won't make your PC run any faster.

focusedwriter10

My desktop has less than 10 icons. Only those that I find essential, and which I use mostly on a daily basis. In fact, I prefer my desktop having none of the icons. When it is plain, the better.

elsenbetingue

elsenbetingue
Same here. I think I only have 8 icons as of now because I mostly use sites for my job so I can just use Google Chrome for that. And then a few others like Excel, and such. Others that aren't frequently used I can just use the search bar. Pretty much convenient for me.

XyferXyrus

hahahah i have too many shortcuts. Every applications even microsoft office has shortcuts. It seems that my whole screen is filled with it.. what a mess!!!! :LOL::LOL:

kaushikangara

It is advised to have minimal info on your desktop for optimal PC performance. There is a hard drive provided solely for storage purpose. Even today, many professionals fill up their desktop space with many files, images and sticky notes. The hard drive is hardly utilized which results in slower performance of the PC. I always make sure I have only the very necessary info on my desktop. All the other information goes straight into the hard drive.

Dracindo

Dracindo
Wait, all these icons are mere shortcuts, who only take up a few bytes of space. Is it really possible that a bunch of shortcuts can slow down your PC?

I mean, if your computer is getting slow, shouldn't you just consider uninstalling a single big app you don't use anymore, rather than clearing out your entire desktop? Because I don't think a full window filled with icons is going to take up more space than a game like Fortnite, or League of Legends.

XyferXyrus

I have too many shortcuts. Every application even Microsoft office has shortcuts. It seems that my whole screen is filled with it. What a mess!

Dracindo

Dracindo
I don't really use my shortcuts anymore, they're just there because I was too lazy to uncheck the box for "Add shortcut on desktop". But as long as you can find your stuff relatively quick, then it would be an organized mess. And otherwise, you can always press the start button in the lower left corner and start typing to find the thing you're looking for.

Nethmanila

I only have 10 icons in my desktop. I only display the important and the icons that I always used so it will be easy for me to find it.

iamjay98

I have 62 icons on my desktop and counting. Most are actually documents that I need for school and I put them all on my desktop so that I won't experience trouble finding them everywhere on my very unorganized File Explorer :D .

t3rryf0ldz

I just counted. I have 42. I share my computer with another person so several of them are not mine, but a lot of them definitely are. A few years ago I would only specifically use Mac OS and my macbook pro had one icon on the desktop and only because it wouldn't let me hide the hard drive. I used to keep it obsessively clean and only use the toolbar at the bottom. I don't know why. But I since have gotten a PC again after 10 years of Macbooks and for whatever reason it prompted me to litter the desktop with icons...

HelenR

I have about 60 shortcuts on my desktop, I know it is more there but for me, I feel easily managing works if I have these icons on desktop that I can access them quickly.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views