Know your IMEI

Fishbate

Ever heard of IMEI ? Well IMEI or The International Mobile Equipment Identity is a unique numerical identifier for every mobile device. This number helps to differentiate each device from one another. If you take your smartphone in for repair they will track it using the IMEI to differentiate it from other smartphones.

You can check your IMEI by going to the dialer and tap in *#06#.
You should see this on your screen..
ggif.gif

If your device is lost or stolen, you can contact your provider who may be able to place a block on the IMEI number, preventing it from being used to connect to the network. Your provider may also be able to contact other networks, asking them to also block the device. Law enforcement often keep records of lost and recovered phones too, identified by their IMEI. This function may not be a day to day need...but there may be instances that they come in handy. So always keep your ID's:p.....

Have a great day guys...

Martinsx

I lost one my phone during my university days in school but luckily for me I had the IMEI number copied out somewhere in one of my dairies. When I was made to understand that it's possible to use the IMEI number to block the phone as well as track the possible thief, I had to go straight to one of tech guys I knew back then and he helped me with blocking the phone and well as reporting to the police station about losing the phone.

Unfortunately for me, the phone wasn't recovered by the law enforcement officers but I was glad the phone was rendered useless by the use of IMEI number of the device to block it permanently.

Fishbate

Fishbate
This is a clear example of the importance of IMEI, imagine the possibilities when your smartphone is lost or taken. With all the important information stored in a smartphone your identity is vulnerable. Awareness is a key to safety:cool:.....It's just unfortunate that your phone was not recovered.:cry:

Martinsx

Martinsx
It was really hurting that my phone wasn't recovered because I had high hopes on the security agents being successful in recovering the phone but it never came to realization. This only taught me one good lesson to always be very careful with how I handle and keep my phone because in as much as techs such as IMEI would be helpful in recovering lost devices, it doesn't guarantee 100% success rate in getting the phone back.

Kakashi2020

I lost a basic phone last November and reported it's IMEI number, after 2 days I found it inside my car, and I called customer service and it seems that once it's reported and confirmed lost you can't reactivate it again.

Fishbate

Fishbate
I'm sorry to hear that @Kakashi2020 , the only good thing is that your phone did not get into the wrong hands....it could be worst.

IMEI is a digital signature...and with the vast technology nowadays there's always a way to get things around. A blocked phone can be reactivated...but i'd rather not speak about it :cool:.

Vinsanity

Yes I have actually heard of IMEI before. It was back then when my phone used to not detect network. I was not able to send text messages, phone calls and use data which are all because of null IMEI. I was not very knowledgeable before about IMEI but when I consulted a technician with regards to my phone's network issue, he asked me to open up my smartphone and look for IMEI. I was really curious back then about what it can actually do with the problem so as I went home and I Googled for IMEI. IMEI can be used to add to blacklist when lost and can also be used to fix "no signal" problem of your smartphone. The odd part with regards to my experience is that I own the smartphone actually, it is brand new. I just wondered how it ended up that way though.

Rodney Olson

You can check your IMEI by going to the dialer and tap in *#06#.

Does this code work for all brands of smarmphones? iPhone, Samsung, Sony, Google smartphones...etc?

and I can use IMEI to check activation date of my smartphone?

Fishbate

Fishbate
This works on android, for Iphone you just have go to Settings > General > About:).
and you will see the IMEI on the list and other informations. Another one is checking your simcard tray. The IMEI number is engraved on the upper portion of the simcard tray.

Yes you can check your activation date by using IMEI . There's a lot of free sites that offers that function. But you should be careful ...its better to have it check on official service centers or official site.

It is one of the functions of IMEI . You can check if your smartphone is refurbished or Authentic.
You just have to be careful using your IMEI, some bad people are using them :eek:.

Last edited:
Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Recommended threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views

New Threads

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.