How to turn off the predictive text on Android

aceofadsense

The predictive text on Android are words suggested during the typing input process. But this feature sometimes makes users unhappy, and here is the way how to turn off predictive text on Android.

turn off the predictive text on Android.png

To turn off predictions from on Android you do as following steps:

Note that each smartphone has different operations so you can leave comments to receive instructions if this is not the same with your device.

Step 1: Go to Settings on your Android smartphone.

Step 2: Select General management>

Step 3: Language and keyboard.

Step 4: Enter the virtual keyboard.

Step 5: Choose the keyboard you are using (for example: Samsung).

Step 6: Select Predictive text and turn on/off this feature.

So, you've turned off off the predictive text on Android.

Hope it helped.

Last edited:

Martinsx

Thanks for this information, although I'm already aware of it because I have been using android device for more than 10 years now, so I can easily boost that I'm at 95% aware of all the features that comes with most android phones.

There is another way to stop a particular word prediction in android phones. Once the predicted text pops up, long press it and it would bring up a pop up notification if you want to stop that particular prediction.

I have added a screen shot on how to do this. Good luck.

Screenshot_2018-03-13-13-00-56.png

Reactions: aceofadsense

aceofadsense

aceofadsense
Yeah it was one of ways to stop this feature if we don't want to use it any more. Almost time I disabled this feature if I am viewing and working on websites from my smartphones, it is not convenient when using in this case.

ElGuapo96

Thanks for the information! That is such an annoying feature and it's gonna save a lot people a lot of time. Just imagine how many times you started typing something, especially when you want to type it really quickly and you have no time to waste. Suddenly the phone automatically selects the words for you and you end up writing something that makes zero sense or is completely inappropriate :D
It definitely helped, no more accidental "i love you" messages, or even worse for that matter.

Reactions: Admin

Martinsx

Martinsx
Seriously, you are quite right in pointing out how annoying this predictive text feature can get when you are trying to type fast, all to end up getting a whole irrelevant prediction to replace what you are writing. Sometimes, I would erase the prediction and start again only to end up getting the same words predicted for me again.

Although sometimes what makes that issue repeatedly happening is when one is trying to write too fast, so the prediction normally goes haywire with the words it suggests for the writer. So therefore, the best way to stopping or reducing this occurrence is by taking tying slow.

ElGuapo96

ElGuapo96
You are absolutely right, but the problem is that i usually type way too fast and the words just keep on coming and mistakes happen. I have been in so many uncomfortable situations because of that :D
Luckily we have got a solution for this, otherwise i would be absolutely screwed. Almost broke up with girlfriend because of this, my brother got mad at me, really bad experiences lol :D

Emmaz

This issue of text prediction has been a huge pain in my ass because it has frustrated my writing so many times that I can ever count and have virtually looked for all means to put an end to this all to no avail. I even when and download another keyboard called SwiftKey and the problem still persisted. But after reading through the information provided on this article on how to take care of the problem and followed the step chronologically, I was able to turn off the prediction feature.

All thanks to you @aceofadsense, I can now enjoy using my keyboard to type without worrying about this constant prediction annoying feature. This is very helpful and I'm definitely going to share it with some other friends of mine who might need it as well. Good job mate.

Reactions: aceofadsense

aceofadsense

aceofadsense
All thanks to you @aceofadsense, I can now enjoy using my keyboard to type without worrying about this constant prediction annoying feature. This is very helpful and I'm definitely going to share it with some other friends of mine who might need it as well. Good job mate.
You are welcome, to be honest I only use it sometime and when I don't need it, I turned off this feature for any reasons.

Dracindo

Thanks for telling us how to turn it off, but doesn't this just show a quick list of suggestions of what you mean to type? I mean, I hate it when I type something and when I press space or a dot or comma, it auto-corrects it, but is that the same thing as predictive text? If not, then I just need to know how to turn off auto-correct, but I actually enjoy predictive text, especially when I forgot the proper spelling of a word.

Older threads
Replies
Views
spb
Replies
Views
spb
FAQ
Replies
Views
spb
Newer threads