Don't throw your smartphone yet!

Fishbate

There will come a time that our smartphones have to go:cry:. An old friend that just won't work anymore, or an accident that damaged it. It's really a fact that smartphones don't last forever:cautious:. Although it's easy to find a new one with the vast products out there in the market. I always thought one can make something new out of old stuffs.:ROFLMAO:

I do up cycling / re purposing as a hobby. It's my passion to build something out of trash and old stuffs. That's why i'm sharing you guys one of my projects only here @ Smartphones.

I have old android tablets and electronic stuffs laying around the storage, and decided to make an emergency power bank with LED light .
Now what do we need to make a power bank from old android tablet? of course the battery:D. I opened two old tablets and found a 3800mAh and 2800mah battery. I just need one so i chose 3800mAh for higher capacity.
1519286130497.png

Next we need a charger module, i have one with a dead battery so i just took the charger module.
1519286437535.png

Mmmm..:unsure: we need a switch, a USB hub so that we can do multiple charging, a light for emergency purposes, a box that can fit all these stuff for enclosure and some USB /Micro USB cables and wires. Guess what i have them all at my storage! just imagine what my storage looks like:D.
1519287091646.png

Before we start assembling, we must check first the battery, charging module, LED and hub is working. So i soldered the battery connections to the charging module and check if its working by connecting the LED light to the module port.
1519287424163.png

Yup they are working fine:cool:! Before putting it together of course i did some diagram:p i know guys...my diagram doesn't look good:devilish:. Hey...what can i say"love your own" right :LOL:!

1519287927361.png

Now the plan is a power bank with a two charging port, and LED light that activates using a switch:geek:. With the plan ready, i started working on holes on the box for the switch, the light and the USB hub position. Also i removed the silicon coating of the led light to have access on the wire and the LED itself.
1519288483999.png

I started soldering the connections of the LED light switch, the charger module and position them accordingly.
1519288952921.png

After assembling, i tested it and it works great..unfortunately i have a little bit of a problem. The charger module automatically turns off if there is no activity or charge is finished, meaning i have to re-insert the cables before it starts activating again:unsure:. So what i did is installed a wake up switch from a mouse right click switch:LOL:.. and connect it in the outgoing Port cable to the hub.

1519289493253.png

There you go... although it doesn't really look that good it still functions well. It may not give you enough power but it will deliver on emergency situations.

I really think that everything deserves a second chance, smartphones are one of those things that are rich in components and parts. Giving a part of it a new purpose is fulfilling:love:. With a little know how and basic skills one can make a difference:alien:.

I hope you like it guys...see you all in the next project!
mmmmm:unsure: ?

Attachments

• 1519287776288.png
    1519287776288.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 17

kaisantos2229

Yes it's true that even if your mobile phone broke down it doesn't mean it don't have any purpose anymore. I always sell my broken mobile phones for parts to technicians who wanted to buy it. As a matter of fact I just sold my iPhone 5s last two years ago to my friend who is a technician. My friend is the one who told me not to throw away may broken phones. He said instead of throwing it away, he will buy it from me in a cheaper prize.

I hope you can share the finish product of what ever it is you are doing because it looks awesome.

Fishbate

Fishbate
Thank you for appreciating my work @kaisantos2229 and i agree, there is a lot more than meets the eye. we just have to look in a different perspective. You can earn and you can build, what ever you choose just be reminded that creating is helping:).

What you see in the video is actually the finished product :p. At $0 cost :D , i think the product is fine. It only needs some decorations and some more stabilizers. I'll see what i can do and will update you..

Have a great day:coffee:!

Reuben720

This is super innovative!! Love how you reused old tablet parts to literally make a power bank out of it. >.<
This will make me think twice before throwing away any old gadgets of mine. Although I don't think I can ever get as good as you in doing something like this. :p
Props to you buddy! Great stuff!

Fishbate

Fishbate
Thank you @Reuben720 , just like everybody else i started with minimal skills. I don't have any degree on electronics or designing. You know what, designing and planning is actually the easiest part. Learning the how's and the what's is like a normal browsing and searching. The hardest part is having the free time to do it:). It really doesn't matter if your projects looks good or bad, just as long as you are satisfied with the result of your idea.

I know that everyone is capable of creating...that includes us:D

Have a great day:coffee:!

MAlexaFritz

I Like your idea so much. Your so clever you can do such things. Wish I know something about mechanical and electrical as well.

Fishbate

Fishbate
Thank you @MAlexaFritz , well if i can do it .... you also can. I actually acquired my skills in electronics just buy watching videos and some research. Second i only use parts that are basically no value. That is why i'm not scared ruining it:p. Its actually fun and exciting doing these things. And i suggest you try it! Just start slow and simple...

Try something with LED pin lights and create something like a lamp or just a simple decoration. I promise you it will be fun:coffee:!

ElGuapo96

Wait a second, so you fixed it yourself, all by your own? Congratulations, that is incredibly impressive. I guess you are well educated in that area. Wish i had those kind of skills, or should i say knowledge. That would have saved me a lot of money :D
That is so creative and really well done. Is this the only type of project you have done so far? I would really like to see more from you. :)

Loopybs

Yes I too like your idea. Overall we should all be up-cycling / recycling our devises obviously. There is enough plastic already in the waters of the world by all accounts.
I would have to give away my devices to get them up-cycling / recycling as such as I would not have the technical ability to do the job I have no problem admitting.

aubeybey

Wow. That was a very innovative idea of recycling up your old smartphones or tablets. I am thinking that you have a background on electronics for you to arrive at that idea. I also love to recycle some old stuff instead of throwing it away but I have to research and watch videos on youtube. Your idea is very great and it takes a creative hand and mind, and a skill to make some recycled stuff like that.

Dracindo

Dracindo
Same here, but unfortunately I don't always have all the items available to follow such YouTube tutorials. There's always a certain component, wire or tool that I'm missing to complete the tutorial and have my own repaired or new item working completely fine. And if I ever find such small things, I just throw them away, because I end up hoarding them, never finding a chance to use them. And I know how bad hoarding can get.

tbymrtn

I use two old devices for simple tasks. First, is an old 8inch tablet purely for presentations. I will often produce a presentation on Keynote, then save it either as a pdf (without animations) or a Quicktime video. Then I transfer the presentation and play it on the tablet. While the tablet has gotten long in the tooth and is low to use for more intensive applications and has a short battery life, it is enough power for a short presentation in a cafe. Second is an iPhone 5s which I use solely as a monitor for my DJI Osmo+. I find its size to be just right for job.

Cai07

There will come a time that our smartphones have to go:cry:. An old friend that just won't work anymore, or an accident that damaged it. It's really a fact that smartphones don't last forever:cautious:. Although it's easy to find a new one with the vast products out there in the market. I always thought one can make something new out of old stuffs.:ROFLMAO:

I do up cycling / re purposing as a hobby. It's my passion to build something out of trash and old stuffs. That's why i'm sharing you guys one of my projects only here @ Smartphones.

I have old android tablets and electronic stuffs laying around the storage, and decided to make an emergency power bank with LED light .
Now what do we need to make a power bank from old android tablet? of course the battery:D. I opened two old tablets and found a 3800mAh and 2800mah battery. I just need one so i chose 3800mAh for higher capacity.
View attachment 519
Next we need a charger module, i have one with a dead battery so i just took the charger module.
View attachment 520
Mmmm..:unsure: we need a switch, a USB hub so that we can do multiple charging, a light for emergency purposes, a box that can fit all these stuff for enclosure and some USB /Micro USB cables and wires. Guess what i have them all at my storage! just imagine what my storage looks like:D.
View attachment 521
Before we start assembling, we must check first the battery, charging module, LED and hub is working. So i soldered the battery connections to the charging module and check if its working by connecting the LED light to the module port.
View attachment 522
Yup they are working fine:cool:! Before putting it together of course i did some diagram:p i know guys...my diagram doesn't look good:devilish:. Hey...what can i say"love your own" right :LOL:!

View attachment 524
Now the plan is a power bank with a two charging port, and LED light that activates using a switch:geek:. With the plan ready, i started working on holes on the box for the switch, the light and the USB hub position. Also i removed the silicon coating of the led light to have access on the wire and the LED itself.
View attachment 525
I started soldering the connections of the LED light switch, the charger module and position them accordingly.
View attachment 526
After assembling, i tested it and it works great..unfortunately i have a little bit of a problem. The charger module automatically turns off if there is no activity or charge is finished, meaning i have to re-insert the cables before it starts activating again:unsure:. So what i did is installed a wake up switch from a mouse right click switch:LOL:.. and connect it in the outgoing Port cable to the hub.

View attachment 527

There you go... although it doesn't really look that good it still functions well. It may not give you enough power but it will deliver on emergency situations.

I really think that everything deserves a second chance, smartphones are one of those things that are rich in components and parts. Giving a part of it a new purpose is fulfilling:love:. With a little know how and basic skills one can make a difference:alien:.

wow! I didn’t expect to read this one. Now, i’m thinking of going through my old devices and see what I can do. :giggle:

rightmeownana

View attachment 519
View attachment 520
View attachment 521
View attachment 522

View attachment 524
View attachment 525
View attachment 526

View attachment 527

This is so cool! I broke 4 smartphones in the past 3 years and I was actually sad because I can no longer use it but I saw this and thought this is genius! I wonder if I can do it too? I haven't done anything like this before but I definitely want to.

Dracindo

I'm impressed how people like you can go all MacGyver, take old scraps you can find and turn it into something functional like that. I wish I was that kind of genius, but it requires studies that I get tired of doing in mere minutes.
It's guys like you we're all going to rely on if an apocalypse ever breaks out. ?

Do you also know how to build computers? That is a study I wish to learn. I have friends that know how to do it and when I give them a budget and some details, they build up exactly what I need, but it would be cool if I could do it myself. If you or anyone else got some good beginner guides followed by advanced guides, you'd make my day.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads
Recommended threads