How to fix black screen of computer on Windows 10

EfficientNinja

Black screen problems may make our devices unusable or annoying and it can be scary if this is your first time to encounter this type of technical issue with your personal computer. This issue may come from the graphics card, operating system errors, or some other cause.

In each case, we can try different solutions. Listed below are some basic solutions:

Option 1: Turn off the power directly, disconnect all peripherals.
If your computer is blacked out at boot time or when you perform an installation on your computer, you can wait for the process to finish. If you still can not hold down the power button for about 10 seconds to shutdown then restart it. If you are using a laptop you can remove the battery then attach and reboot. This is the simplest measure that we should try first.

1522594016718.png

If at that time your machine has some external devices such as speakers, USB flash drives, printer, try disconnecting all of them and leave only devices such as mouse and keyboard to reduce the factors that could cause the screen problem.

Method 2: Try waking up the screen.
In many cases, Windows 10 does not detect the screen. You can use Windows + Ctrl + Shift + B to wake up the screen in this case.

Method 3: Start your computer in Safe Mode to troubleshoot.
Step 1: Start your computer.

Step 2: At the bottom-right on the sign-in screen, hold down Shift and click the Power button in the bottom right corner of the screen-> select Restart.

If your screen is black and do not see this blue screen, restart your computer, and when you see the green Windows logo appear-> press the Power button and start the computer again. Repeat the same steps three times until you activate Windows 10 Automatic repair. Follow the on-screen instructions and open the Advanced options menu.

Step 3: Select Troubleshoot.

Step 4: Choose Advance Option.

Step 5: Select Startup Settings.

Step 6: Click Restart.

Step 7: Press 5 ( Enable Safe Mode with Networking ).

The computer will automatically reboot into Safe Mode and then you will do the following to fix it.

1. Reinstall the video driver for the machine.

You can download the video drivers for your machine from the manufacturer's website. If it was from ASUS for example, you can check their support website for the drivers you need.

2. Disable High Contrast.

This can also be one of the causes of this condition so you can try it out.

Step 1 : Click on Windows -> choose Setting.

Step 2: Select Ease of Access.

Step 3: Click on Color & High Contrast.

Step 4: Select None to disable the High Contrast feature.

Then you restart your computer and see if the problem is fixed.

3. Turn off Fast Startup on your computer.

To disable this feature you look for a quick tutorial on google or youtube. In the last step, you remove the check or the tick in Turn on fast startup, then click Save changes to save your settings. You can then reboot the computer to see if this solves the issue.

Here are some of the most common ways to fix the black screen on your computer. I hope this article will be useful for you. Good luck! :)

Foneposter

This is helpful, particularly for those who wants to check the health of their battery from time to time. As for me, I'm just contented with the battery percentage indicator and the alerts that my phone gives when the battery is low. Plus, smartphones these days have features that allows you to extend your battery life even longer such as Night time mode, Doze etc

Reactions: EfficientNinja

EfficientNinja

EfficientNinja
This guide is nice for squeezing every bit of battery life that you can in a laptop. It also helps prevent battery degradation because this prevents your battery from draining when not in use. :)

DenisMNE

DenisMNE
You can use a lot of apps like ''Battery saver'' to try to boost your battery life.They mostly work on shutting down the apps you do not use, but they work in the background.Good thing about it is that they do not use a lot of energy.
You can also activate battery saver in your phone, and turn down the brightness.I do both of them and it extends the battery life for an hour or two which is sometimes so useful and needed.

Fishbate

It can be just a power display setting or a hibernate setting, you can try checking if the HDD indicator is lid while pressing ENTER . If the HDD indicator has no activity, the device may be at Hibernate mode. When hibernate is enabled, the device is automatically set to sleep when it reached idle setting time. You can just turn on the device using the power button to return to normal state.

If the power button has the indicator ON, the Display is probably off. This could be just a simple display setting which you can adjust at the control panel.

1523605780761.png

If you still have a black screen with fluctuating occurrence it might be a back light problem. If you want to check if its a back light problem, try using a flashlight at the screen during a black screen occurrence. If you see an image on the screen using the flashlight, it is a back light display problem.

DenisMNE

Very useful!
I had this problem few months ago but I spent a lot of time trying to fix it.
If I only knew how to reinstall the video driver, I would save a lot of time!
Sometimes, try to hold your power button for 30 seconds to drain all the energy out before you turn it on, again, to give it a full reboot.

Older threads
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Newer threads

New Threads

Popular tags

You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.